1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck scale in extra dimensions

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    Hi everybody, it's my first post on here but as i seem to have hit a brick wall with my work i'm hoping somebody might be able to help me :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm looking at how the planck scale is reduced in higher dimensions (ADD theories) and i've managed to reproduce an expression relating the 4-d gravitational constant [tex]G_{4}[/tex] and a fundamental gravitational constant [tex]G_{4+n}[/tex] by invoking gauss's law for gravity in extra dimensions around a line/plane of mass (due to the compactification of the extra dimensions). Here n represents the number of extra dimensions. With this i've had no problems and the answer I get seems to match the answers found in the literature.

The issue i'm having is with relating this change of gravitational constant to a change in planck length. I've just been using the normal relation for converting G into [tex]M_{pl}[/tex] i.e [tex]M_{4+n}=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar c^5}{G_{4+n}}}[/tex] but all the papers on the subject use the relation [tex]M_{4+n}^{2+n}\approx G_{4+n}^{-1}[/tex] with this relation I get all the right answers but I can't for the life of me figure out where it comes from. Can anyone let me know where the extra factor of [tex]M_{4+n}^n[/tex] arises?

Thanks for your time!
    Nathan

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?