Planck scale in extra dimensions

Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Planck length and the gravitational constant in higher dimensions. The first equation relates the mass and the gravitational constant, while the second equation takes into account the non-standard behavior of the gravitational force in higher dimensions. The extra factor of M_{4+n}^n in the second equation arises from this non-standard behavior.
toipot
Hi everybody, it's my first post on here but as i seem to have hit a brick wall with my work I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me :)

Homework Statement

I'm looking at how the Planck scale is reduced in higher dimensions (ADD theories) and I've managed to reproduce an expression relating the 4-d gravitational constant [tex]G_{4}[/tex] and a fundamental gravitational constant [tex]G_{4+n}[/tex] by invoking gauss's law for gravity in extra dimensions around a line/plane of mass (due to the compactification of the extra dimensions). Here n represents the number of extra dimensions. With this I've had no problems and the answer I get seems to match the answers found in the literature.

The issue I'm having is with relating this change of gravitational constant to a change in Planck length. I've just been using the normal relation for converting G into [tex]M_{pl}[/tex] i.e [tex]M_{4+n}=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar c^5}{G_{4+n}}}[/tex] but all the papers on the subject use the relation [tex]M_{4+n}^{2+n}\approx G_{4+n}^{-1}[/tex] with this relation I get all the right answers but I can't for the life of me figure out where it comes from. Can anyone let me know where the extra factor of [tex]M_{4+n}^n[/tex] arises?

Thanks for your time!
Nathan

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Nathan,

First of all, welcome to the forum and thank you for your interesting question! The relationship between the Planck length and the gravitational constant is indeed a tricky one, especially in higher dimensions. Let's take a closer look at the equations you mentioned.

The first equation, M_{4+n}=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar c^5}{G_{4+n}}}, is the standard relationship between the mass M of a particle and the gravitational constant G in 4+n dimensions. This equation is derived from the general expression for the Schwarzschild radius in n extra dimensions, which is given by r_{S}^{n}=\frac{2GM}{c^{2}}\left(\frac{c}{\hbar}\right)^{n-2}. By setting this expression equal to the size of the extra dimensions, which is typically taken to be on the order of the Planck length, we can solve for the mass M in terms of G_{4+n} and the Planck length. This is where your first equation comes from.

Now, let's move on to the second equation, M_{4+n}^{2+n}\approx G_{4+n}^{-1}. This equation is a bit more complicated, but it essentially comes from the fact that in higher dimensions, the gravitational force is not just proportional to the inverse square of the distance, but rather to the inverse (n+2)th power. This means that the contribution of a particle to the gravitational potential is proportional to its mass raised to the power of (n+2). When we combine this with the standard expression for the gravitational potential, which is given by V=-\frac{GM}{r^{n+1}}, we can solve for the mass in terms of the gravitational constant and the Planck length, giving us the second equation.

I hope this helps to clarify the origin of the extra factor of M_{4+n}^n in the second equation. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed.

1. What is the Planck scale in extra dimensions?

The Planck scale in extra dimensions is the energy scale at which the effects of extra dimensions become significant. It is named after German physicist Max Planck, who first proposed the idea of a fundamental unit of energy. In the context of extra dimensions, the Planck scale can be thought of as the energy at which the gravitational force between particles in different dimensions becomes comparable to the other fundamental forces.

2. How is the Planck scale related to extra dimensions?

In theories that include extra dimensions, the Planck scale is often used as a reference point to understand the behavior of particles and forces in these dimensions. As the energy scale at which the effects of extra dimensions become significant, the Planck scale can provide insight into the structure and dynamics of these dimensions.

3. What is the significance of the Planck scale in extra dimensions?

The Planck scale in extra dimensions is important because it can help reconcile theories of gravity with those of the other fundamental forces in our universe. It also provides a framework for understanding the complexities of higher-dimensional spaces and their potential impact on our observable world.

4. How is the Planck scale calculated in the context of extra dimensions?

The Planck scale in extra dimensions is typically calculated using a combination of theoretical models and experimental data. In particular, the size and shape of the extra dimensions, as well as the strength of the gravitational force in these dimensions, are important factors in determining the Planck scale.

5. What are some potential implications of the Planck scale in extra dimensions?

The Planck scale in extra dimensions could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws. It could potentially help explain the hierarchy problem (the large difference in scale between the gravitational force and the other forces) and provide insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy. It may also offer new avenues for experimental testing and discovery.