Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Planck's constant

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations
    Ek=hf-W

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the equation Ek= hf-W ( W is work function) , in the given graph the x axis is the threshold frequency so f= 10, and Ek is given by 3ev, i tried to isolate variables but i have no clue what W is equal to

for part c) a stronger force of attraction means greater threshold and kinetic energy so i would imagine a diagonal line going through (0,0) , it would be different in the case that it would start at (0,0) since the cathode ray has a stronger force of attraction.

Im unsure how to go on about doing it , although I believe that the physical signifcance of the y intercept is that it is the negative of the work function .
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2
    I'm gonna approach this with solely a mathematics prespective.

The graph you have is a linear function, the equation you provided is also in the format of a linear function.

With that alone you've got enough information to solve whatever you're looking for.

4. May 22, 2010 #3
    I understand that,as you mentioned its a linear function so assuming the cathode has a stronger force of attraction with its electrons, doesn't it mean that the slope is greater since there is greater attractive force b/w the x axis ( threshold frequency) and the y -axis( kinetic energy) but how would i determine the value of planck's constant using
    Ek=hf-w

5. May 22, 2010 #4
    You have enough information to find everything in that equation from that graph... You should be able to solve for h.

6. May 22, 2010 #5
    so h=(Ek+W)/f , the thing is i know that from the given graph f= 3, Ek=3ev and what is W?

7. May 22, 2010 #6
    Can't you simply use the slope to "extrapolate" back and find the intercept?

8. May 22, 2010 #7
    yes but only thing im confused is with how to find W still, in the mathematical way not so , but using physics i am

9. May 22, 2010 #8
    I'm not sure what you're confused about... You can solve it using an "mathematical" approach but you want to solve it using a "physics" approach? What's wrong with using the "mathematical" approach?

10. May 22, 2010 #9
    ok im confused solving mathematically, so basically take the points of 2 points and find the slope after that what would i do, and by doing this would it give me the work function?

11. May 22, 2010 #10
    The slope of that graph is plancks constant.

12. May 22, 2010 #11
    okay got that but using the equation i mention Ek=hf-W where "w" represent the work function rearranging for planck's constant we can solve it using that formula but the only unknown is the work function :S

13. May 22, 2010 #12
    You solve planck's constant by solving the slope. You solve the work function by using planck's constant.

14. May 22, 2010 #13
    we already know planck's constant though which is 6.63*10^-34Js so why solve planck's constant when we are finding it?

15. May 23, 2010 #14
    One good reason is to verify the accuracy of your experiment based on the collected data.

16. May 23, 2010 #15
    yes that is true, to verify the validity the only thing that is confusing is finding what the work function is...

17. May 23, 2010 #16
    still don't understand would appreciate any help whatsoever

18. May 23, 2010 #17
    Okay, if anyone can have a look as mentioned i just find the slope which should give me planck's constant does it matter that i have a margin error of around 10%? im getting a value of h=6.7*10^-34, is that ok?

19. May 23, 2010 #18
    sorry a slight margin error of approximately 1% is that fine, and is that how i solve by finding the slope which should give me planck's constant?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook