Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plancks constant?

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    I was wondering what exactly Plancks constant describes. Do all photons have the energy h and the measure of the energy in an electromagnetic wave is just related the the frequency which photons make contact with some particle, keeping in mind that they all still have the same exact energy? Or do photons exist in a variety of energies?

I also want to ask if photons have measurable properties such as wavelength or some relative mass?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Photons have varying energies according to the formula [tex]e=h\nu[/tex] where h is Planck's constant and [tex]\nu[/tex] is the frequency. Wavelength is the inverse of frequency. Higher frequency means higher energy.

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This material belongs strictly in Theory Development. The links are to material written by Syed, and do not represent mainstream scientific opinion. It smacks of self-promotion. Syed also has written on his theory of anti-gravity too.

It is not fair to have a legitimate thread hijacked for an individual's own agenda - i.e. pushing a "crackpot" viewpoint. The OP asked a reasonable question, and deserves a reasonable answer.

-DrC

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?