1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck's Law

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1
    Hello,

My question is in regards to Planck's Law and a blackbody:

For the single lambda case I can readily find the spectral exitance. Alternately, if I substitute to create an integral in the form of x^3 / (e^x - 1) and integrate over all lambda, I reach Stefan-Boltzmann. No problems there, but I am really interested in finding the (average?) spectral exitance over a small, finite spectral band. Any tips on how to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2
    i am not quite sure what your question is, but it seems to me you are looking for the answer of this integral:
    [tex] \int_{b}^a \frac{x^3}{e^x-1} dx [/tex],
    the above integral has no exact solution... unless a=0, b=infinity, or a=b.... the best you could do is use numerical analysis....

4. Feb 7, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't have a computer software to give you the result,learn that Debye integral ([itex] D_{3} [/itex]) values are tabulated...

Daniel.

5. Feb 7, 2005 #4
    Thank you both for your quick responses. To state my question more directly: "What is the area under the curve generated by a blackbody at some given temperature for some finite lambda range?" (Say in the visible region only.)

I can generate an approximate answer by using small increments of area and summing, but I wanted to compare my answer the solution obtained from a definite integral. However, from your answers I believe it is not possible (I do not have any computer software - just pencil and paper!).

I have taken your advice and will study more about numerical analysis and Debye integrals. Thank you again for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?