Understanding Plancks Quanta for Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter agonydrum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quanta
In summary, Planck found that frequencies of blackbody radiation were not random, but instead organized into groups with certain ranges and energy levels. This discovery was an important first step in understanding quantum mechanics. It was further shown that electron orbitals also have discrete energy levels, which explains the distinct frequencies emitted by heated gases. For a beginner-friendly explanation of quantum mechanics, the book "Introducing Quantum Theory" is recommended.
agonydrum
Hey everyone so normally I prefer the challenge of conceptualizing these types of things myself but I really am stuck. I can't grasp the concept of Plancks quantas and it seems like an important first step in understanding quantum mechanics. It seems from what I've read that he basically found that frequencies arent random but are organized into groups with certain ranges and energy levels and only frequencies in those groups..exist I guess? As you can probably tell I'm really lost any help would be greatly appreciated this problem has been haunting me

Physics news on Phys.org
Planck found that if blackbody radiation interacted with matter in small chunks of energy, instead of giving up or taking energy continuously, then he could devise a formula that correctly predicted how the energy of that radiation was distributed among the spectrum an object emitted. This doesn't mean that the frequencies are quantized, it means that the energy within each frequency is quantized. You can still have any frequency in an EM wave.

This was taken further and it was shown that electron orbitals have discrete energy levels, which explained why gases such as hydrogen emit distinct frequencies when heated instead of emitting radiation all along the spectrum like a blackbody would.

If you want a very good book that explains the very basics of QM and how it was discovered then I recommend the following:
Introducing Quantum Theory

Thank you very much for your response and ill definitely check out that book

agonydrum said:
Thank you very much for your response and ill definitely check out that book

I LOVE that little book. It's small enough to be carried in pocket and has very good explanations that require little to no math to understand. (Though knowing the math helps)

What is Planck's constant, and why is it important in Quantum Mechanics?

Planck's constant (represented by the symbol h) is a fundamental physical constant that relates the energy of a quantum mechanical system to its frequency. It was first introduced by Max Planck in 1900 in his theory of blackbody radiation. In quantum mechanics, it is used to determine the energy levels of particles and is essential in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

How does Planck's constant relate to the uncertainty principle in Quantum Mechanics?

According to the uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because the act of measuring one variable inevitably affects the other. Planck's constant plays a crucial role in the uncertainty principle, as it sets a limit on how accurately we can measure these values. The smaller the value of h, the smaller the uncertainty in the measurement.

What is the significance of Planck's constant having a fixed value?

The fact that Planck's constant has a fixed value is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. It means that the energy levels of particles are quantized, meaning they can only exist at certain discrete values. This has significant implications for the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale and has led to the development of many technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

How does Planck's constant relate to the wave-particle duality of subatomic particles?

Planck's constant plays a crucial role in the wave-particle duality of subatomic particles. It is used to calculate the wavelength of a particle, which determines its wave-like nature. At the same time, it is also used to determine the energy of a particle, which determines its particle-like behavior. This duality is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been proven through various experiments.

Can Planck's constant be derived from other physical constants?

No, Planck's constant cannot be derived from other physical constants. It is a fundamental constant that must be measured experimentally. However, its value can be determined by observing the behavior of particles and their energy levels.