1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plancks spectrial radtion law

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    I have a problem that states
    Show that the wavelength Lamba_max=(2892 micro meters*K)/T
    hint: set the dS/DLamba=0.
    i have no idea how to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to find the maximum of a function. The maximum of a function is given when f'(x) = 0. So taking Planck's radiation formula for energy density per unit wavelength;

[tex]S_{\lambda} = \frac{8\pi hc}{\lambda^{5}} \cdot \frac{1}{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda kT}} - 1}[/tex]

The constant term [itex]8\pi hc[/itex] does not effect the position of the peak and can therefore be ignored. Thus the derivative becomes;

[tex]\frac{d}{d\lambda} = \frac{1}{\lambda^5}\cdot \frac{1}{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda kT}} - 1} \;\; d\lambda = 0[/tex]

Once you have found the derivative all that remains is to solve the equation. As far as I know there exists no analytical solution to the equation and it must be solved numerically. However, if I have time I may venture into the maths forums and inquire as to whether an analytical solution exists.

HINT: Solve numerically for [itex]\lambda_{max}T[/itex] first.

~H

Last edited: May 31, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?