1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane and line equation

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    I've encountered this question but I do not know how to solve it? Help anyone? I need some clues.

Find a plane through the points P1 (1,2,3) and P2(3,2,1) and perpendicular to the plane 4x - y + 2z = 7

Another question, When given point A (1,2,3) and B (3,2,1) , I'm asked to find the line equation.
    So If I got the direction of the line using B - A, I get the direction as (2,0,-2)
    I should write the line equation as (1, 2, 3) + t (2, 0, -2). My question is, instead, can I write the equation as (3, 2, 1) + t (2, 0, -2) although (3, 2, 1) is the endpoint of the line?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes, both are correct.

For the plane 4x-y+2z=7, what is the equation of the normal,N?

If you visualize this plane being perpendicular to the one you want, what does it imply about N and the plane?

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3
    I know that for 4x-y+2z=7 has normal vector (4,-1,2). I also know that 4x-y+2x=7 is perpendicular to the plane containing the P1 and P2, and thus the normal vector is parallel to the line P1P2. Therefore I should find P1P2 and cross with the normal vector (4,-1,2) and get a normal to the plane containing P1P2. After that I should substitute either P1P2 into the equation obtained to find d. then I got my answer? correct?

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

yes so do that and you will get the normal n of the plane you want.

then use the definition of the plane r.n=0 where r=(x,y,z) i.e. (x,y,z).n=0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook