Can the Second Plane Autonomous System Have a Unique Critical Point?

In summary: I can't seem to find where or when in the lecture he did it. In summary, the second system has a unique critical point when ab>1, but I am unsure if it is always stable.
TheMercury79
TL;DR Summary
Can we still show a unique critical point if we change one variable?
The plane autonomous system $$x' = -ax + xy\\y' = 1 - by - x^2$$ has a unique critical point when ##ab>1##

Since if we set x' = 0, then either x=0 or y=a

If y=a, then for y' = 0: ##1 - ab - x^2= 0## , but if ##ab>1## this leads to ##x^2<0## which has no solutions and thus ##y\ne a##

The only option left is to let x=0 so that ##y' = 1-by = 0##, so ##y=1/b##

Therefore ##(0 , 1/b)## is a unique critical point of the given plane autonomous system.

This is pretty straightforward, but consider instead a similar system with a slight difference: $$x' = -ax + xy\\y' = 1 - bx - x^2$$
How can you do the same process as above and show that this system has a unique critical point when ##ab>1##?

We had the second one on a test the other day and I couldn't get anywhere with it. I thought I recognized the question because the first
system is from the text-book and I suspect that the teacher intended to use the first system but mispelled y for x.

Though, I am reluctant to say anything to the teacher because I don't want to look silly, he could have switched the y and x intentionally
and it's just me that can't show what the unique critical point is. I tried and tried but couldn't show anything.

So, is it me or the teacher? I want to be sure before I point this out to him. Can it be shown that the second system has a unique critical point?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After further inspection I still come up with nothing. I found that if y=a, then ##bx+x^2=1##, but since this is a quadratic, it yields two possible values for x in terms of b, so there can't be a unique point for the second system. And how to use it with ab>1 is a mystery to me since it seems ab>1 doesn't even enter the picture for the second system.
Also there was a follow up question asking us to show that this unique point is always stable for b>0.
He must have mispelled the question

What is a Plane Autonomous System?

A Plane Autonomous System is a technology that allows an aircraft to operate without direct human control. It uses sensors, computers, and algorithms to navigate, make decisions, and perform tasks autonomously.

How does a Plane Autonomous System work?

A Plane Autonomous System works by using sensors, such as cameras, radar, and lidar, to gather information about its surroundings. This information is then processed by onboard computers, which use complex algorithms to make decisions and control the aircraft's movements.

What are the benefits of using a Plane Autonomous System?

There are several benefits of using a Plane Autonomous System, including increased safety, improved efficiency, and reduced human error. It also has the potential to reduce costs and open up new possibilities for air transportation.

Are there any risks associated with using a Plane Autonomous System?

Like any technology, there are risks associated with using a Plane Autonomous System. These include potential malfunctions or errors in the system, cybersecurity threats, and ethical concerns about the level of control given to machines.

What is the future of Plane Autonomous Systems?

The future of Plane Autonomous Systems is constantly evolving and expanding. As technology advances, we can expect to see more advanced and sophisticated systems that can handle a wider range of tasks and operate in more complex environments. It is also likely that we will see more widespread use of autonomous aircraft in various industries, including transportation and delivery.