Proving the Relationship Between Chord Length and Curve Type | Homework Question

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to show that if the chord length between points on a curve depends only on the distance between the points, then the curve must be part of a line or circle. The use of differentiation and the expression |f'(t)| = lim(dt->0) |a(dt)/dt| are suggested, and it is determined that |f'(t)| is a constant for certain functions a, but it is unclear how to show this for all functions a.
akoska

Homework Statement

I want to show that if the chhord length ||f(s)-f(t)|| depends only on |s-t| then the f is part of a line or circlle. f may not be regular or unit speed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to differentiete it and taking ||f'(t)||, but I really need help, because it's not working for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to show |f'(t)| is a constant. For the rest of the problem I would think about trying to express the curvature of f(t) in terms of things like |f(s)-f(t)| as s->t and hence argue that it is also a constant.

How do I show |f'(t)| is a constant? I get to the part: |f'(t)| = lim(dt->0) |a(dt)/dt| where a is the function ||f(s)-f(t)|| =a(|s-t|)... and then I'm stuck

Divide both sides of your last expression by |s-t| and let s->t. I would conclude |f'(t)|=a'(0) for an appropriately defined a. Or this "|f'(t)| = lim(dt->0) |a(dt)/dt|". That looks to me like the definition of a'(0).

Last edited:
Yes, but I think the 'appropriately defined a' is the catch. a can be any differentiable function, adn although i can show that |f'(t)| is a constant for certain a, how can I show it for all a?

There's no 'catch'. You've defined a(|s-t|)=|f(s)-f(t)|. That defines a(x) for non-negative x. The only 'appropriately defined' case is whether you bother to define a(x) for negative x or keep referring to one sided derivatives. It's really nothing.

What is a plane curve?

A plane curve is a graphical representation of a mathematical equation or function in two-dimensional space, where the points on the curve are determined by the values of the independent variable.

What are the different types of plane curves?

There are various types of plane curves, including lines, circles, ellipses, parabolas, hyperbolas, and more complex curves such as spirals and cardioids.

How are plane curves used in science?

Plane curves have many applications in science, including in physics, engineering, and biology. They can be used to model the motion of objects, describe the shapes of natural phenomena, and analyze data in various fields of study.

What are some properties of plane curves?

The properties of a plane curve depend on its type and equation, but some common characteristics include slope, curvature, length, and area. These properties can be calculated and used to analyze the behavior of the curve.

How can I graph a plane curve?

The graph of a plane curve can be created by plotting points based on the equation or function that defines it. This can be done manually using a coordinate plane or with the help of software or graphing calculators.