1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane curves question

1. Mar 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to show that if the chhord length ||f(s)-f(t)|| depends only on |s-t| then the f is part of a line or circlle. f may not be regular or unit speed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to differentiete it and taking ||f'(t)||, but I really need help, because it's not working for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should be able to show |f'(t)| is a constant. For the rest of the problem I would think about trying to express the curvature of f(t) in terms of things like |f(s)-f(t)| as s->t and hence argue that it is also a constant.

4. Mar 10, 2007 #3
    How do I show |f'(t)| is a constant? I get to the part: |f'(t)| = lim(dt->0) |a(dt)/dt| where a is the function ||f(s)-f(t)|| =a(|s-t|)... and then i'm stuck

5. Mar 10, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Divide both sides of your last expression by |s-t| and let s->t. I would conclude |f'(t)|=a'(0) for an appropriately defined a. Or this "|f'(t)| = lim(dt->0) |a(dt)/dt|". That looks to me like the definition of a'(0).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  6. Mar 10, 2007 #5
    Yes, but I think the 'appropriately defined a' is the catch. a can be any differentiable function, adn although i can show that |f'(t)| is a constant for certain a, how can I show it for all a?

7. Mar 10, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no 'catch'. You've defined a(|s-t|)=|f(s)-f(t)|. That defines a(x) for non-negative x. The only 'appropriately defined' case is whether you bother to define a(x) for negative x or keep referring to one sided derivatives. It's really nothing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?