Discovering the Meaning of a Plane Equation in 4D | Homework Equations

• Thread starter DespicableMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses adding a fourth variable to a plane and writing the equation as a scalar equation. The resulting equation would represent a moving plane or the relative distance of the plane from a certain location. The constant in the equation would indicate the plane's distance from the origin.
DespicableMe

Homework Statement

If you add a fourth variable to a plane and wrote the entire plane equation as a scalar equation, what would that equation represent?

Homework Equations

I'm guessing the scalar equation would look something like Ax + By + Cz + Dk + E = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that it can't represent a shape. I can't visualize it.
Then another thought - what would a plane in 4D look like? What IS 4D?

I'm not sure what the above equation would represent in terms of planes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DespicableMe! :wink:
DespicableMe said:
I'm guessing the scalar equation would look something like Ax + By + Cz + Dk + E = 0

Then another thought - what would a plane in 4D look like? What IS 4D?

Yes, that's the right equation.

If the fourth dimension is time, that represents the equation of a moving plane, for example a plane wavefront. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi DespicableMe! :wink:

Yes, that's the right equation.

If the fourth dimension is time, that represents the equation of a moving plane, for example a plane wavefront. :smile:

I also read somewhere that a fourth varible in a plane equation would express the relative distance of the (projection?) plane from a certain location.

What do you think of this? :redface:

Ah, that's the constant in a 3D equation …

for example x + y + z + D = 0 is a plane whose distance from the origin is 2D/√3 :wink:

What is a plane equation?

A plane equation is a mathematical representation of a 2-dimensional flat surface in 3-dimensional space. It is written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are coefficients and x, y, and z are variables.

What is the significance of a plane equation in science?

Plane equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They help in describing and analyzing the behavior of objects on a flat surface in a 3-dimensional space.

How is a plane equation derived?

A plane equation can be derived using a point and a normal vector on the plane. The normal vector is perpendicular to the plane and the coefficients A, B, and C are calculated using the components of the normal vector.

What are some real-life applications of plane equations?

Plane equations are used in aircraft design, navigation, and air traffic control. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3-dimensional objects and in physics to model the motion of objects on a flat surface.

Can a plane equation be used to represent a curved surface?

No, a plane equation can only represent a flat surface. To represent a curved surface, a different type of equation, such as a quadratic or cubic equation, is needed.