Unlocking the Mysteries of Plane Physics

In summary, the dragon would have a shorter tail, which would decrease the horizontal force acting on Jam.
anyone1979
[SOLVED] Plane facts, I

Is this right?

A ramp has an incline angle of 25 degress. How much work must you do if you are to drag a 50 kg mass a distance of 100m upward along the ramp? Assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction is uk = .35 and that you apply the force parallel to the plane.

uk mg cos(25) = (.35)(50)(9.8)cos(25) = 155N
Wfk = (155)(100)cos(180) = -15.5*10^3J

W = (100)(100)(1) = 1*10^4J

Wtot = 1*10^4 + 15.5*10^3 = 25.5*10^3J

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what the second equation (100)(100)(1) means
but you should have (friction force * linear distance) + (weight * vertical displacement)

Work

Assuming the coordinate system is established with the x-axis parallel with the ramp you would use the following:

W = F*d where

F = Fgravityx + Ff where

Fgravityx = mgsin(25)

Ff = u*N and

u = coefficient of friction
N = mgcos(25)

W = d(Fgravityx + Ff)

Hope this helps

Thank you for replying me.

The second statement is (Work = friction force * distance * cos 25 degrees)

When I get the answer, I found the total work done by adding the work done by friction and the work done by the force to get the total work done.

Is that right?

Work is always force * distance.
The easiest way is to consider both the force to overcome friction * the 100m distance
Plus the vertical force (weight) * the vertical displacement ( 100m * sin(25) )

After a few rotations, the dragon has the same radius of rotation, but a shorter tail (period). Explain what effect this would have on the horizontal force acting on Jam:

Thank you all so much.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Isn't Wgravity = mgh
and h = d sin(25)?

That should make Wnet = Wgravity + Wf + Wfk
Which should give you negative for Wnet, but work cannot be negative?

The work is due to the Force of gravity plus the Force of friction. Not sure what your third force is in your equation. Your equation is correct for the force due to gravity.

Thank you for replying back so quick.
I am a little confused, the question asked to assume that you apply the force parallel to the plane. So I made the constant force applied equal to the distance (100N).
So, that third force was the work done by the force applied. Am I reading the question right, or should I remove the third force?

1. What are the main principles of plane physics?

The main principles of plane physics include lift, thrust, drag, and weight. Lift is created by the shape of the wings and allows the plane to stay in the air. Thrust is generated by the engines and propels the plane forward. Drag is the resistance against the motion of the plane, and weight is the force of gravity acting on the plane.

2. How do airplanes stay in the air?

Airplanes stay in the air due to the principle of lift. As the plane moves forward, the shape of the wings creates an area of low pressure above the wing and high pressure below it. This difference in pressure creates an upward force, known as lift, that keeps the plane in the air.

3. How do engines work on an airplane?

Engines on an airplane use a combination of fuel and air to produce thrust, which propels the plane forward. Most commercial airplanes use a jet engine, which compresses incoming air, mixes it with fuel, and ignites it to create a powerful burst of hot gas that is expelled out of the back of the engine, providing the necessary thrust.

4. How do pilots control the movement of an airplane?

Pilots control the movement of an airplane through a combination of flight controls, including the ailerons, elevators, rudder, and flaps. These controls work together to change the angles and surfaces of the plane, allowing the pilot to steer it in different directions, change altitude, and control speed.

5. What are the factors that affect an airplane's flight?

There are several factors that can affect an airplane's flight, including air density, temperature, pressure, and wind conditions. The weight and balance of the plane, as well as its speed and altitude, also play a role in its flight. Additionally, external factors such as turbulence and weather conditions can also impact the plane's flight.