1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane flying between two points

1. Aug 20, 2007 #1
    An event occured at point A

(x,y,z,t) = (0,0,0,0)

and Point B

(-500*10^3,0,0,0)

simultaneously on earth.

An airplane flies along the line (in space) connecting A and B with velocity 12/13v. The airplane is between B and S and is moving towards S. Which event occured first. How much earlier did it occur.

Okay. I get that event B occured first with by 0.01733 seconds. This defies all of my intuition because A and the plane are moving closer togethor while B and the plane are moving farther apart. I would think that this means the plane would perceive event A as "closer" than it really is and event B "farther" than it really is. Is my intuition that wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2007 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

the notation isn't clear on your velocity: What is 12/13v?

You also never define the point S.

4. Aug 21, 2007 #3

mjsd

Homework Helper

well the question is, was Earth moving with respect to either A or B? two events that happened simultaneously in one frame doesn't imply that the observer is stationary with respect to them or lie in the middle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?