1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane geometry problem

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation of plane which contains the line [itex]l:\left\{\begin{array}{l} x=t+2 \\y=2t-1\\z=3t+3 \end{array}\right.[/itex], and makes the angle of [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] with the plane [itex]\pi:x+3y-z+8=0[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt was to find the normal vector of plane which contains the line by the cross product of vector [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] of line and some vector created between points [itex]P(2,-1,3)[/itex] of line and point [itex]Q(x,y,z)[/itex], than by using the formula to find angles, but this leads me to complications.

I think there's another way to solve this, which I don't know.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If two planes make a given angle, [itex]\theta[/itex], with each other, then their normal vectors make the same angle. The dot product of two vectors, u and v, is given by [itex]u\cdot v= |u||v|cos(\theta)[/itex]. So if we take <a, b, c> to be a unit vector perpendicular to the desired plane, we must have [itex]<a, b, c>\cdot<1, 3, -1>= \sqrt{1+ 9+ 1} cos(2\pi/3)[/itex] or [itex]a+ 3b- c= -.5\sqrt{11}[/itex]. That, together with [itex]a^2+ b^2+ c^2= 1[/itex] gives two equations to solve for a, b, and c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook