1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane in the air

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1
    You are flying in a light airplane spotting traffic for a radio station. Your flight carries you due east above a highway. Landmarks below tell you that your speed is 57.0 m/s relative to the ground and your air speed indicator also reads 57.0 m/s. However, the nose of your airplane is pointed somewhat south of east and the station's weather person tells you that the wind is blowing with speed 20.0 m/s.

In which direction is the wind blowing? Express your answer as an angle measured east of north.

I'm not quite sure how to go about setting this one up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

EDIT: Got it, nevermind :eek:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2
    can someone PLEASE explain how to solve this problem. i cannot get it at all!

4. Feb 2, 2010 #3
    I also do not understand this problem :( i cannot picture what to draw. any help?

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4
    You are flying in a light airplane spotting traffic for a radio station. Your flight carries you due east above a highway. Landmarks below tell you that your speed is 52.0 m/s relative to the ground and your air speed indicator also reads 52.0 m/s. However, the nose of your airplane is pointed somewhat south of east and the station's weather person tells you that the wind is blowing with speed 19.0 m/s.

my problem has different numbers then the post above but still the way to figure it out should be the same.

i tried drawing a diagram 52 being directly on the east line then another line going southwest from the end of the east line and that was my 19 then the resulting line was also a 52.

i found the angle between the two 52 lines to be 21.1 degrees but this is incorrect so i thought maybe it was 68.9 degrees since its the angle east of north but that is also wrong :(

any suggestions? any pictures would also be very helpful if possible.

thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?