Plane inclined mechanics physics problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with understanding a question regarding a mass on an inclined plane and a force acting on it. The direction of the force is unclear and the relevance of certain angles is being questioned. The use of Einstein's theory of relativity is also mentioned. Ultimately, it is determined that the direction of the force is important and clarification is needed.
Gughanath
I have a problem with a question. The problem si that I can't understand the question.
We got a mass, which rests on a plane inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal. There is a force Y which is at 45 degress to the horizontal, which acts on the mass. I don't know which way to draw the force Y, do I measure the ange from left to right?, or the other way round? :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
Is it relevant...?

Daniel.
What do you mean??

Gughanath said:
What do you mean??
He wonder if you are supposed to use Einstein's theory of reativity.

danne89 said:
He wonder if you are supposed to use Einstein's theory of reativity.

The idea is nice,too bad the wording's not that pretty... :tongue:

Daniel.

P.S.One point for spelling EINSTEIN right,though... :tongue2:

You guys are really funny..HAHAHA

"left or right" is not relevant since either way would give the same answer.

"up or down" is important! I would assume that the "20 degrees from the horizontal" for the slope means that the bottom end goes 20 degrees UP and so, from the top end, goes 20 degrees DOWN. However, it seems to me that you will need to be told whether that 45 degrees the force makes with the horizontal is upward or downward.

What is the definition of a "plane inclined mechanics physics problem"?

A plane inclined mechanics physics problem refers to a type of physics problem that involves an object on a flat surface that is inclined at an angle. This type of problem typically deals with forces, motion, and equilibrium on an inclined plane.

How do I approach solving a plane inclined mechanics physics problem?

To solve a plane inclined mechanics physics problem, it is important to first draw a free body diagram of the object on the inclined plane. Then, apply the laws of motion and equilibrium, such as Newton's second law and the principle of moments, to determine the forces acting on the object and the resulting motion.

What are some common mistakes when solving a plane inclined mechanics physics problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a plane inclined mechanics physics problem include not considering the effects of friction or incorrectly determining the direction of forces. It is also important to make sure the chosen coordinate system aligns with the direction of motion on the inclined plane.

How does the angle of the incline affect the forces and motion in a plane inclined mechanics physics problem?

The angle of the incline can affect the magnitude and direction of forces and the resulting motion in a plane inclined mechanics physics problem. As the angle increases, the component of the weight force along the incline also increases, resulting in a greater net force and acceleration.

What are some real-world applications of plane inclined mechanics physics problems?

Plane inclined mechanics physics problems have many real-world applications, such as determining the optimal angle for a ramp or inclined plane for loading heavy objects. They are also used to analyze the motion of objects on inclined surfaces, such as a rollercoaster or a car on a hill.