1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane intersecting a sphere

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    The unit sphere x2 + y2 + z2 =1 with density =1 is cut by the plane z=1/2. Find the volume and centroid of each piece.

As of now, i have (for the top piece) the integral of [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] r2 Sin[p] dr dp dt, with theta from 0 to 2 pi, phi from 0 to pi/2, and row from 1/(2Cos[phi]) to 1, but when i multiply in rCos[p] to find the z coordinate of the centroid, I get 3/8 which is below that part of the sphere.

And as far as the lower piece of the sphere goes, I can't figure out what the limits on my triple integrals would be. I can find the volume by seperating it in to two pieces like this:

From the xy plane up to z=1/2: [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] r2 Sin[p] dr dp dt with theta from 0 to 2 pi, phi from 0 to pi/2, and row from 0 to 1/(2Cos[phi]).

From xy plane down (the lower hemisphere): [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] r2 Sin[p] dr dp dt with theta from 0 to 2 pi, phi from 0 to pi/2, and row from 0 to 1.

Add these together gives the volume, but what would I do to find the centroid of the entire piece?

By the way, r= row, p= phi, and t= theta

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\phi[/itex] does NOT go from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. The plane z= 1/2 cuts the unit sphere where [itex]x^2+ y^2+ 1/4= 1[/itex] or [itex]x^2+ y^2= 3/4[/itex]. The distance from (0,0,0) to, say, [itex](\sqrt{3}{2}, 0, 1/2)[/itex] on that circle is 1 so we have [itex]\rho= 1[/itex] on that circle. Since [itex]x^2+ y^2= 3/4[/itex] in spherical coordinates is [itex]\rho^2 sin^2(\phi)= 3/4[/itex], with [itex]\rho= 1[/itex], we have [itex]sin^2(\phi)= 3/4[/itex] so [itex]sin(\phi)= \sqrt{3}/2[/itex]. [itex]\phi[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi/3[itex].

(The standard english transliteration of the Greek letter [itex]\rho[/itex] is "rho".)

Actually, a better way to do it is to integrate on the cone, [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi/3[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex] from 0 to [itex]1/(2cos(\phi))[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], then the rest of the sphere: [itex]\phi[/itex] from [itex]\pi/3[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex] from 0 to 1, and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

As for the centroid do exactly the same thing: multiply dV by [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/itex], integrate over those two ranges and add. Then divide by the volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook