Plane lands at wrong airport and can't leave

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary: Offloading the cargo may be the only solution, as the runway is only about 400 meters long.In summary, a cargo plane landed at the wrong airport and can't leave because the runway is too short. The airport doesn't even have a control tower. What's the solution?
SW VandeCarr
A massive cargo plane landed at the wrong airport and now can't leave because the runway is too short. The airport doesn't even have a control tower. What's the solution?

http://news.yahoo.com/dreamlifter-cargo-plane-wrong-airport-wichita-135024064.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've wondered about this scenario before. It can't possibly be the first time this has happened, but the solution would have to be very situation-dependent.

Offload the cargo and takeoff with a nearly empty fuel tank.

Or, more fun: JATO!

Sounds like the classic crossing the river problem with a boat, cat, wolf, goat and cabbage.

http://www.mathcats.com/explore/river/crossing.html

Will probably need a dreamliner engineer to say how they can get enough lift on a short runway. Maybe they'll need to unload some cargo or all cargo and truck it to the original airport and maybe even some fuel. With a lighter plane maybe they can takeoff with a shorter runway.

They could also always build a longer runway or make the plane into a museum.

russ_watters said:

Even more fun: SSATO (Sling Shot Assisted Take Off) :biggrin:!

jedishrfu said:
They could also always build a longer runway or make the plane into a museum.
bold mine

Not just the plane, but the whole airport, unless they build a new runway.

russ_watters said:

Jet assisted take off?

It must have already left, it is not visible on Google Earth.

Borek said:
It must have already left, it is not visible on Google Earth.

Are you certain that Google Earth provides real-time imagery?

SteamKing said:
Are you certain that Google Earth provides real-time imagery?

I think it was a joke (unless Google is using satellites).

Google does use satellites (or, rather, buy the imagery). But I hope it was a joke...

lisab said:
I've wondered about this scenario before. It can't possibly be the first time this has happened, but the solution would have to be very situation-dependent.

It happens from time to time, but usually it's less spectacularly newsworthy so we don't hear about it. A while back a C-17 trying for MacDill AFB in Florida landed at a general aviation field instead; even though the C-17 (like most military cargo carriers) is designed for STOL operations, the youtube videos suggest that the subsequent takeoff was... exciting, and not in a good way.

And of course there's the old saying that "Takeoff is optional, but landing is mandatory" - aircraft have been forced to land at very unsuitable fields after in-flight fires, mechanical failure, or fuel shortage. Usually someone finds a way of flying the plane out, but not always.

russ_watters said:

Reduced fuel load? Yes, they only need to make the short hop to the intended destination and they burned a fair amount of fuel in flight already.

Offload the cargo? No so likely, it's an entire 787 fuselage section requiring custom-built and not especially mobile equipment to load and unload.

Plan is to take off at noon local time, 39 minutes from when I click "post"

lisab said:

I know of a Boeing 737-300 that had double engine failure, both flamed out, and landed on a narrow grass levee near New Orleans. There was no way to drive the airplane away, disassembling was not a great option either, so they ended up replacing one engine and repairing the other and impressively were able to take off from the levee and take the airplane to an airport.
http://lessonslearned.faa.gov/ll_main.cfm?TabID=1&LLID=40&LLTypeID=2

Just shows an unlikely scenario can be an option, isn't reducing its weight or making the runway a little longer the easiest way to go?

Just forget about it, massive planes are a dime a dozen.

The OP link has been updated -- the plane was able to take off and get to the correct airport:

http://news.yahoo.com/dreamlifter-cargo-plane-wrong-airport-wichita-135024064.html

Tower audio from the landing: https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F121174731&auto_play=false&show_artwork=true&origin=twitter

nsaspook said:
Tower audio from the landing: https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F121174731&auto_play=false&show_artwork=true&origin=twitter

There seems to be a lot of talk on that link about Coordinates and several other of airports being close by.

edward said:
There seems to be a lot of talk on that link about Coordinates and several other of airports being close by.

They had no idea where they had landed (how that's possible with GPS and landing aids is beyond me) on the glide path and were very lucky not to have crashing into another plane while landing and sitting in the middle of the runway. (a twin engine turboprop flew over the top of them during the confusion)

KIAB-GPS19L_zps91d56f5d.jpg

Last edited:
nsaspook said:
They had no idea where they had landed (how that's possible with GPS and landing aids is beyond me)
You still have to do the equivalent of programming the video recorder correctly :biggrin:

AlephZero said:
You still have to do the equivalent of programming the video recorder correctly :biggrin:

Their manual skills are gone and now they can't operate a GPS. What happened to the old school pilots?

"What can happen to an Old Fashioned?"

russ_watters said:

Would you believe that was my very first thought?

Sully Sullenberger mentioned pilots losing manual skills on the CBS news the day before this happened.

Pilots need more training, less dependence on automation ...

CBS News-Nov 20, 2013

"Instead, they get a more fundamental understanding on their own through ... He said that it's also important to recognize that pilots do not get ... the report specifically explains that "pilots have to not only have the skill, ... "Sleep issues are very important to pilots and air traffic controllers," Sullenberger said.

I can't get a link that works.:redface:

What happened when a plane lands at the wrong airport?

When a plane lands at the wrong airport, it means that the pilot has mistakenly landed at an airport that was not the intended destination. This can be caused by a variety of factors such as poor visibility, confusion with similar airport names, or incorrect flight information.

Why can't the plane leave from the wrong airport?

The plane cannot leave from the wrong airport because it may not have enough fuel to reach its intended destination, or the wrong airport may not have the necessary facilities or runway length to accommodate the plane's size and type. It is also a safety concern to take off from an unapproved airport.

What happens to the passengers on the plane?

The passengers on the plane will typically be taken off the plane and transported to the correct airport. They may experience delays in reaching their destination, and may also be offered compensation for the inconvenience.

Who is responsible for the mistake of landing at the wrong airport?

The responsibility for landing at the wrong airport ultimately falls on the pilot and the airline. Pilots are trained to follow proper procedures and protocols to ensure the safe arrival at the correct destination. The airline may also face consequences and penalties from aviation authorities for this mistake.

How can this mistake be prevented in the future?

To prevent a plane from landing at the wrong airport in the future, airlines and pilots can implement stricter procedures, use advanced navigation systems, and improve communication between air traffic control and the flight crew. It is also important for pilots to double-check their flight information and confirm the correct destination before landing.