What is the Angle ϕ of the Reflected Laser Beam in Plane Mirror Reflection?

In summary, the problem involves a laser beam being incident on a mirror at an angle of 85°. The goal is to determine the angle of the reflected laser beam. Using the law of reflection, it is possible to find this angle by setting the angle of incidence equal to the angle of reflection. After assigning names to all the angles and using the fact that the sum of a triangle's angles is always 180°, the solution can be found by solving for each angle algebraically. However, in order for this method to work, the starting angle must be correctly identified. Once all the angles are determined, the final answer can be calculated.
Kalibasa

Homework Statement

A laser beam is incident on the left mirror in the figure below, in which α = 85°. Its initial direction is parallel to a line that bisects the mirrors. What is the angle ϕ of the reflected laser beam?

http://www.webassign.net/knight/p23-40.gif"

Homework Equations

The law of reflection, where the angle of incidence (measured from the normal, the line perpendicular to the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried assigning names to all the angles and figuring out which were equal to each other, then trying to do it algebraically. But I don't see any way to do this with only the one angle given...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a helpful hint: Regardless of the shape of a given triangle, the sum of its three angles is always 180o. :wink:

Beyond that, if you want us to help more you'll have to show us your work so far, and your attempt at a solution (i.e. show us how you tried to "do it algebraically," for example).

How I tried to do it algebraically was a long complicated mess, which is why I didn't post it. I finally figured it out, though- my starting angle was 42.5 degrees, that's what I'd missed, and then I was able to calculate each angle as I went around

What is a plane mirror?

A plane mirror is a flat, smooth surface that reflects light rays in a predictable manner, creating images of objects placed in front of it.

How does reflection occur in a plane mirror?

Reflection in a plane mirror occurs when a light ray strikes the surface of the mirror at an angle, known as the incident angle, and is reflected off at the same angle on the opposite side of the normal, known as the reflected angle.

What is the difference between regular and virtual images in a plane mirror?

A regular image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, whereas a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror. In a plane mirror, only virtual images are formed.

Does the size of an object affect the size of its image in a plane mirror?

The size of an object does not affect the size of its image in a plane mirror. The image appears to be the same size and distance as the object, but it is reversed left to right.

How does the distance between an object and a plane mirror affect the size of its image?

The distance between an object and a plane mirror does not affect the size of its image. However, as the object moves closer to the mirror, the image will appear to be larger and closer to the mirror, and vice versa.