1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane Mirrors

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are 1.9 m tall and stand 3.5 m from a plane mirror that extends vertically upward from the floor. On the floor 1.5 m in front of the mirror is a small table, 0.80 m high.

a) What is the minimum height the mirror must have for you to be able to see the top of the table in the mirror?

2. Relevant equations

pythag. theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    i know the mirror has to be half as tall as the person in order to see their body but i'm not sure how to use this knowledge to translate it to the table. thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Can you draw the ray diagram?
    Let h be the height of the table and H be the minimum height of the mirror from the ground.
    A ray from the top of the table T falls on the mirror at M and reflects towards your eye E. Draw two parallel lines from T and M to the ground. Parallel line from T meets the mirror at N and parallel line from M meets you at P.
    Now you can varify easily that the triangles EPM and TNM are similar. So the sides of the triangles are proportional. With these hints try to find the minimum height of the mirror.

4. Mar 18, 2010 #3
    i got like 1.2m but it said it was wrong.

5. Mar 18, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The formula becomes
    (H - 0.8)/1.5 = (1.9 - H)/3.5)
    Solve for H.

6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    thanks! i was close lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook