Height of Mirror Needed to See Table in Mirror

In summary, the minimum height of the mirror in order to see the top of the table is approximately 1.2 meters. This can be found by setting up a similarity between the triangles formed by the top of the table, the mirror, and the observer's eye, and using the formula (H - 0.8)/1.5 = (1.9 - H)/3.5) to solve for H.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

You are 1.9 m tall and stand 3.5 m from a plane mirror that extends vertically upward from the floor. On the floor 1.5 m in front of the mirror is a small table, 0.80 m high.

a) What is the minimum height the mirror must have for you to be able to see the top of the table in the mirror?

Homework Equations

pythag. theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the mirror has to be half as tall as the person in order to see their body but I'm not sure how to use this knowledge to translate it to the table. thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw the ray diagram?
Let h be the height of the table and H be the minimum height of the mirror from the ground.
A ray from the top of the table T falls on the mirror at M and reflects towards your eye E. Draw two parallel lines from T and M to the ground. Parallel line from T meets the mirror at N and parallel line from M meets you at P.
Now you can varify easily that the triangles EPM and TNM are similar. So the sides of the triangles are proportional. With these hints try to find the minimum height of the mirror.

i got like 1.2m but it said it was wrong.

The formula becomes
(H - 0.8)/1.5 = (1.9 - H)/3.5)
Solve for H.

thanks! i was close lol

1. What is the height of mirror needed to see a table in the mirror?

The height of the mirror needed to see a table in the mirror depends on the height of the table and the distance between the table and the mirror. Generally, the mirror should be placed at a height where the viewer's eye level is slightly above the table's surface.

2. How do I calculate the height of mirror needed to see a table in the mirror?

To calculate the height of the mirror needed, you can use the simple formula: height of the table + distance between the table and the mirror = height of the mirror. For example, if the table is 2 feet tall and the distance between the table and the mirror is 5 feet, the mirror should be placed at a height of 7 feet.

3. Can I use a shorter mirror to see a table in the mirror?

Yes, you can use a shorter mirror to see a table in the mirror if you adjust the angle of the mirror. By tilting the mirror slightly downward, you can see the reflection of the table without needing a taller mirror.

4. What happens if the mirror is too high or too low to see the table?

If the mirror is too high, you may only see the ceiling or the upper part of the table in the mirror. If it is too low, you may only see the floor or the lower part of the table in the mirror. It is important to adjust the height of the mirror to get a clear and complete reflection of the table.

5. Is there a standard height for a mirror to see a table in the mirror?

There is no standard height for a mirror to see a table in the mirror as it depends on the individual's height and the height of the table. However, as a general guideline, the mirror should be placed at a height where the viewer's eye level is slightly above the table's surface for a clear and complete reflection.