1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane pendulum in terms of the x axis

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

consider the free motion of a plane pendulum whose amplitude is not small. Show that the horizontal component of the motion may be represented by the approximate expression ( components through the 3rd order are included)

[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]+w[tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex] (1+x[tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex]/L[tex]^{2}[/tex])x - Ex[tex]^{3}[/tex]=0

where w[tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex]=g/L , E=3g/(2L[tex]^{3}[/tex]) and L is the length of the suspension.
    2. Relevant equations

we have a second order non-linear equation: [tex]\ddot{\Theta}[/tex]+w[tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex]sin[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\Theta[/tex]=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm pretty stuck on this. It seems that I need to get a function for x in terms of [tex]\Theta[/tex], but I'm not quite sure where to start. I see here that I'm not going to be able to use the small angle approximation sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]=[tex]\Theta[/tex].

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

x = L(sin theta) => theta = arcsin x/L.

Try to find theta'' in terms of x'', and at some point sub in the value of theta'' from the last eqn, so as to get w0^2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?