1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane Problem

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The vertices of a tilted triangle table are (0,0,9), (5,3,7), (4,7,6) and I need to determine where the a ball of mass m falls off of the table. There is no friction or outside forces. The ball is released from point (0,0,9).

2. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to start.. I was thinking of breaking it into 2 components but it doesnt seem to work out. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

While on the table, the ball will follow the vector with largest (negative) z component. You should be able to determine from that where the ball leaves the table.

4. Mar 6, 2008 #3
    wouldnt that vector = <4-0, 7-0, 6-9> = <4, 7, -6> ?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  5. Mar 7, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are assuming that the ball will roll from vertex (0, 0, 9) to vertex (4, 7, 6)? Why? Why wouldn't it roll toward the other vertex. Or someplace in between?

If the ball rolls from (0, 0, 9) to the point (x, y, z) then it rolls along vector <x, y, z-9>. You want maximize z- 9 for (x, y, z) on the plane. What is the equation of that plane?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?