1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane Proof

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A, B, C be the vertices of a triangle in the plane and let a, b, c be respectively, the midpoints of the opposite sides. Show that Aa+ Bb+ Cc = 0 (all of them have vector signs on the left).

2. Relevant equations

definition of plane

3. The attempt at a solution

Drew the picture which would look like a triangle within a triangle. The form Aa... looks most like the component equation but I don't understand how a, b, c equates to x, y, z.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You say a,b,c are midpoints of sides then you say they are vectors?? If everything is a vector what does Aa mean? And what are x,y,z? You need to state your problem more carefully.

4. May 27, 2014 #3
    That is exactly how the problem appears as written by the professor. A, B, and C form a triangle with a, b, c as midpoints. I meant that in the equation for example Aa has a vector sign hovering over it, but I don't know how to type in that symbol.

5. May 27, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, so you mean ##\vec{Aa}+\vec{Bb} +\vec {Cc} = \vec 0##. Here's a hint:$$
    \vec{Aa} = \vec{AB} +\frac 1 2 \vec{BC}$$and similarly for the other two.

6. May 27, 2014 #5
    Got it thanks.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted