1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane question

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1
    I have a general question. If given 3 points, how would I find the equation of the plane containing all these points?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Do you have any ideas?

Do you know of any ways to write the equation of a plane given some other information? Can you gather that information if given 3 points?
  4. Jun 6, 2006 #3
    I think I found it. I would need to take the cross product of 2 vectors from those 3 points to find the normal vector. Then I would use the equation 0 = a(x-x1)+b(y-y1)+c(z-z1), <a,b,c> being the normal vector. For <x1,y1,z1> would I just pick one of the points? Does it matter which one?
  5. Jun 7, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Your approach is fine and it doesn't matter which point you use in the end.
  6. Jun 7, 2006 #5

Gold Member

That form of the plane equation works but I prefer to write the plane equation as ax+by+cz=d where <a,b,c> is a normal vector to the plane. You can then solve for d by evaluating the left-hand side at any point. In the end it doesn't matter because you'll end up with the same equation.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?