Finding the Equation of a Plane from 3 Points

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a plane given three points. The suggested method is to take the cross product of two vectors from the points to find the normal vector, and then use the equation 0 = a(x-x1)+b(y-y1)+c(z-z1), with <a,b,c> being the normal vector. It is mentioned that it does not matter which point is used in the equation. Another approach is to write the equation as ax+by+cz=d, where <a,b,c> is the normal vector, and then solve for d by evaluating the equation at any point. Both methods will result in the same equation for the plane.
Jeann25
I have a general question. If given 3 points, how would I find the equation of the plane containing all these points?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any ideas?

Do you know of any ways to write the equation of a plane given some other information? Can you gather that information if given 3 points?

I think I found it. I would need to take the cross product of 2 vectors from those 3 points to find the normal vector. Then I would use the equation 0 = a(x-x1)+b(y-y1)+c(z-z1), <a,b,c> being the normal vector. For <x1,y1,z1> would I just pick one of the points? Does it matter which one?

Your approach is fine and it doesn't matter which point you use in the end.

That form of the plane equation works but I prefer to write the plane equation as ax+by+cz=d where <a,b,c> is a normal vector to the plane. You can then solve for d by evaluating the left-hand side at any point. In the end it doesn't matter because you'll end up with the same equation.

Last edited:

1. What is the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a flat, two-dimensional surface in a three-dimensional space. It is typically written as Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are constants and x, y, and z are variables.

2. How can I find the equation of a plane from three points?

To find the equation of a plane from three points, you can use the formula:
(x-x1)(y2-y1) - (x2-x1)(y-y1) = (x-x1)(z2-z1) - (x2-x1)(z-z1) = (y-y1)(z2-z1) - (y2-y1)(z-z1).
Plug in the coordinates of the three points into the formula and solve for A, B, C, and D.

3. Can I find the equation of a plane with only two points?

No, you need at least three non-collinear points to determine a unique plane in three-dimensional space. If you only have two points, there are infinitely many planes that can pass through them.

4. What if my points are not in a straight line?

If your points are not in a straight line, then they are non-collinear and you can use them to find the equation of a unique plane. However, if your points are collinear, then there are infinitely many planes that can pass through them and you will not be able to determine a unique equation.

5. Can the equation of a plane be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of a plane can also be written in vector form
r = r0 + su + tv, where r0 is a point on the plane, u and v are two non-parallel vectors in the plane, and s and t are any real numbers. This form is useful for finding points on the plane or determining the intersection of multiple planes.