1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Plane Stress Transformation

1. Nov 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the problem with my attempt at the solution:
    8Ezm0.jpg

The magnitude of my answers are correct, HOWEVER I am getting the wrong signs. For the force balance in the x direction I get a negative P but for the force balance in the y direction I get a positive P. Does anyone know why?

I was thinking it was because I have the wrong direction for shear stress on my free body diagram... But I thought this wouldn't matter since the math will always work itself out?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2016 #2
    The stress tensor in the members is ##\vec{\sigma}=\frac{P}{(0.05)(0.08)}\vec{i}_x\vec{i}_x=250 P\vec{i}_x\vec{i}_x## Pa. The unit normal to the joint is ##\cos {25}\vec{i}_x+\sin{25}i_y##. From the Cauchy stress relationship, the stress vector acting on the joint is ##250 P\cos {25}\vec{i}_x##. The component of this stress vector normal to the joint is ##250 P\cos^2 {25}##. The unit tangent to the joint is ##\cos{25} \vec{i}y-\sin{25}\vec{i_x}##. The component of the stress vector tangent to the joint is ##250 P\sin{25}\cos {25}##. So, for the joint not to fail,
    $$250 P \cos^2 {25}< 800000$$and $$250 P\sin{25}\cos {25}<600000$$So,$$P<3896\ N$$and $$P<6266\ N$$So the critical load is 3896 N.

This result is basically the same as the result obtained by theBEAST, and thus confirms his answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted