1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane Tangent

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an eqn for the plane tangent to the given surface at the specified point.

x = u^2 - v^2
    y= u +v
    z = u^2 + 4v

At (-1/4, 1/2, 2)

2. Relevant equations
    A(x-x_0) + B(y-y_0) + C(z-z_0)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that I could simply use x = u^2 - v^2 as A, and y = u + v as B, etc. But yeah, it's wrong obviously. I looked through my notes already and my professor didn't go over this so I'm entirely lost. How do I find the plane tangent without knowing what u and v are? Pls help, having a headache over this. The examples in the book didn't help at all either....it didn't have any examples on this.:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a function f : RxR -> RxRxR defined by:

f(u,v) = (u^2-v^2, u^v, u^2+4v)

The surface is thus

{f(u,v) : (u,v) is in RxR}

You want to find the tangent plane to this surface at the point (-1/4, 1/2, 2). First, find (u', v') such that f(u', v') = (-1/4, 1/2, 2). Then the plane is given by:

[tex](-0.25,\, 0.5,\, 2)\ +\ \mbox{Span}\left \{\frac{\partial f}{\partial u} (u',\, v'),\ \frac{\partial f}{\partial v}(u',\, v')\right \}[/tex]

4. Feb 21, 2007 #3
    How do you find f(u',v')? Is that just taking the derivative of all the components?

Edit: Eh nvm. >< I'm not thinking clearly. Thanks for the help, I got it now.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  5. Feb 21, 2007 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

u' and v' aren't derivatives. It might have been better if I wrote u0 and v0, it was just easier to do it the way I did. What final answer did you get? You should have got (u',v') = (0,1/2). If you got that you probably got the rest right too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  6. Feb 21, 2007 #5
    Yeah, that's what I thought. So I took u + v = 1/2 and solve for v in terms of u, then plugging in v for the u^2 - v^2 = -1/4.

My final answer is z = 3x + 4y + 3/4?

7. Feb 22, 2007 #6

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex]f_u(u',v') = (2u', 1, 2u') = (0, 1, 0)[/itex]
    [itex]f_v(u',v') = (-2v', 1, 4) = (-1, 1, 4)[/itex]

So P = (-0.25, 0.5, 2) + {(-t, t+s, 4t) : t, s in R}.

Can you get for any x and y, a z such that (x, y, z) is in P?

-0.25 - t = x
    0.5 + t + s = y

t = -(0.25 + x)
    s = y - t - 0.5 = y + x - 0.25

Let z = 2 + 4t = 1 - 4x.

So P = {(x,y,z) : z = 1 - 4x, x,y,z in R} = {(x,y,1-4x) : x,y in R}.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?