Reflection and Transmission of Plane Waves at a Dielectric-Metal Boundary

In summary, the problem involves waves traveling in a dielectric with permittivity ##\epsilon_{r}## and hitting an ideal metal boundary. The total field in the dielectric is the superposition of the incident and reflected waves, with the electric field being continuous across the boundary. However, the given formula for the plane wave is for free space, so an expression for the wave inside the dielectric must be obtained first. This will involve terms for the dielectric's permittivity and a modified wave number, ##k'##.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Sorry for the dull question. Problem is as shown/attached
Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 12.10.47.png

Homework Equations

The waves in part ii) are traveling in a HIL dielectric of permittivity ##\epsilon_{r}## from ##0 <z<d## and then hit an ideal metal boundary at ##z=d##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure this should be quite obvious! The total field in the dielectric ##\vec{E_{D}}## is the superposition of the reflected and incident waves. At ##z=d## the field parallel to the boundary must be 0 -ideal metal is ideal conductor and so electrons can move to precisely counteract the field. We also know (from applying Faraday's law to a small loop around the boundary) that the parallel electric field must be continuous across the boundary. i.e

$$ \vec{E_{d}} =E_{D}\hat{\mathbf{x}}= \bigg(E_{xi}exp[i(kz-\omega t)] + E_{xr} exp[i(-kz-\omega t) ]\bigg)\hat{\mathbf{x}} $$
[n.b - the frequency of the incident and reflected waves has to be the same, else we couldn't satisfy the boundary condition for all t,] So:
$$ E_{D}(z=d) =0 \implies E_{xi} \big[cos(kd) +isin(kd)\big] =-E_{xr} \big[cos(kd)-isin(kd)\big] $$
$$ E_{xr} = -\frac{ cos(kd)+isin(kd)}{cos(kd)-isin(kd)} E_{xi} $$
Which is obviously not the result I'm meant to get! What has gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me that the given formula for the plane wave is for free space for z<0. So, you have the first get the expression for the wave inside the dielectric. That is where you will get the ##\epsilon_r## and ##k'## terms.

What is a plane wave at a barrier?

A plane wave at a barrier refers to a type of wave that encounters a barrier or obstacle in its path. It is a mathematical representation of a wave that is described by a constant amplitude and wavelength.

How does a plane wave behave at a barrier?

When a plane wave encounters a barrier, it can either be transmitted through the barrier, reflected off the barrier, or diffracted around the barrier. The behavior of the plane wave depends on the properties of the barrier, such as its height and width, and the angle of incidence of the wave.

What is the significance of a plane wave at a barrier in physics?

Plane waves at barriers are important in physics because they allow us to understand how waves interact with obstacles in their path. This has applications in many areas of physics, such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics.

How is a plane wave at a barrier mathematically represented?

A plane wave at a barrier is represented by a mathematical expression known as the wave equation. This equation describes the relationship between the wave's amplitude, wavelength, and frequency. It can also be represented graphically as a sinusoidal wave.

Can a plane wave at a barrier exhibit interference effects?

Yes, a plane wave at a barrier can exhibit interference effects if there are multiple barriers present or if the wave is incident at an angle. This can result in constructive or destructive interference, which can affect the amplitude and intensity of the wave.