1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane with an exploding bomb-PLEASE HELP ME!

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    Plane with an exploding bomb--PLEASE HELP ME!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The early technique for dropping a plane bomb was to not "drop" but to let it go as the plane was climbing at a rapid rate. The idea "toss" it upward at a steep angle therefore giving the plane enough time to turn away before the bomb exploded.
    Assume the plane is travelling 600 km/hr and it releases the bomb at an angle of 75 degrees above the horizontal. Assume the plane releases the bomb at an altitude of 4000 m above the ground and the bomb is set to detonate at 5r00 m above the ground. Ignoring air resistance, a) how long does the plan have to get away before the bomb exploding
    b) what max height above ground level does the bomb reach? c) what is the bomb's speed as it detonates?

2. Relevant equations
    plane is flying at 600 km/hr ----> 600,000 m /hr
    altitude from ground up is 4000m
    explodes at 500 m

3. The attempt at a solution
    i really dont know what to do this. my book only has two problems similar to this and both involve wind speeds/resistance so i cant make any comparisons.

Please guide me through! i would REALLY appreciate it!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Re: Plane with an exploding bomb--PLEASE HELP ME!

This appears to be a typical baseball problem - you know the initial speed and angle.
    The usual routine on these is to make two headings, for horizontal and vertical motion.
    You must use trigonometry to separate the initial speed into horiz and vertical parts.
    Then under the horizontal heading, use d = vt because there is no acceleration.
    Under vertical, use V = Vo + at and d = Vot + .5at^2.
    Put your numbers in and hopefully you will be able to find something with one of the three formulas!

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3

how do i recognize what is each variable?
    initial velocity is 600km/h?
    time we dont know
    a=g (9.80)
    what is V?

5. Feb 4, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

"initial velocity is 600km/h?" must be converted into meters/second.
    Then split into horizontal and vertical components using trigonometry.
    Sketch an arrow 75 degrees above horizontal. Then draw a horizontal line from the beginning, drop a vertical line from the end to form a triangle. Find the horizontal and vertical sides of the triangle.

6. Feb 5, 2009 #5

ok-i tried as hard as i could but im still stuck.
    can you just show me how to do this? im ready to give up! :(
    (by the way-i have another problem that is verry similar to this one-so if you help me out then i can do the other one as well!)

thanks!

7. Feb 5, 2009 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?