1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planes and lines Q

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    write the equation of the plane x - 2y - 2z = 27 in the form [tex] r.\hat{n} = d [/tex] done

write down the distance of the origin from the plane and show that the point which is the reflection of the origin is (6, -12, -12) done

A second point P has coordinates (-3,2,1). Find the direction cosines of the reflection of the line OP in the plane.

I need help with the last part. 1. How would I go about finding the line which is reflected? Also, how do I find the direction of cosines of a line - is it the just direction of cosines of the direction of the line?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 26, 2013 #3
    ok here is what i have so far

I thought I would use the point P and reflect it in the plane, doing this I got (5,-14,-15) as P' (reflected P). Then I created a line through O and P and saw that it intersected the line at (9,-6,-3) (call it A) then I found the direction of P' and where OP and the plane intersected and got (-4,8,-12) and used this to get find the cosines

is this a correct method? for instance, I done: P' - A to find the direction of the line, if I had done A-P' I would get a different value for the cosines no?

5. Oct 26, 2013 #4
    Let A be the point where ## \vec{OP} ## meets the plane and P' be the point where P is reflected on the plane:

finding A:

## \vec{OP} = r = \lambda \begin{pmatrix} -3 \\ 2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} ## subbing this into the equation of the plane: ## \lambda \begin{pmatrix} -3 \\ 2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}. \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -2 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix} = 27 ## finding ## \lambda = -3 ##and subbing this into the equation of OP I get A = ## \begin{pmatrix} 9 \\ -6 \\ -3 \end{pmatrix} ##

Finding P':

create a line which is normal to the plane and goes through p: ## r = \begin{pmatrix} -3+\lambda \\2-2\lambda \\ 1-2\lambda \end{pmatrix} ## use this to see where it intersects with the plane:

## \begin{pmatrix} -3+\lambda \\2-2\lambda \\ 1-2\lambda \end{pmatrix}. \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -2 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix} = 27 ## find ## \lambda = 4 ## double this and sub ## \lambda = 8 ## into the equation of the line with direction of the normal of the plane and find that ## P' = \begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ -14 \\ -15 \end{pmatrix} ## now do P' - A and I get ## P' - A = \begin{pmatrix} -4 \\ -8 \\ 18 \end{pmatrix} ## so the ## cos(a,b,c) = \dfrac{-4}{2\sqrt{101}},\dfrac{-8}{2\sqrt{101}},\dfrac{18}{2\sqrt{101}} ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted