1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planes in 3 space

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data hello i just had a quick question, Supose theres a line in three space that is parralel to the xy plane but not any of the axes, what does this indicate about the parametric and symmetric equations in three space.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution im not positive on the answer but i was thinking for the parametric equation the direction vector would be perpendicular to the xz and zy plane and the normal vector for the xy plane would be parralel to any of the other planes

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2
    It confusing because you are using planes to describe the line.

One thing for sure, the direction vector would be (a,b,0)

I think they just want to see that you have 0 for z in the direction vector and
    (x-x0)/a = (y-y0)/b = ?

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yeah, I think it's best you post the question from the book, otherwise we won't know what exactly you're asking for.

5. Jun 18, 2008 #4
    Recall that there are three coordinates planes in 3-space. A line in R3 is parallel to xy-plane, but not to any of the axes. Explain what this tells you about parametric and symmetric equations in R3. Support your answer using examples. ok thats the full question

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?