1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planes in 3 space

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plane is perpendicular to the line given by x=3+6t, Y=7+4t, and z=7-9t. What are the components of the normal to the plane

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand what the question is asking me all I have figured out that the normal should be parallel to the perpendicular line, but I can't find the normal from the parametric.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can find the tangent vector to the parametric, right? What is it? Then sure, that should be parallel to the normal. Do you want a unit normal vector?

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3
    The only thing I don't understand is finding the tangent vector, all my book and teacher have told me is how to find the vector orthogonal to the plane.

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The tangent vector to the parametric curve (x(t),y(t),z(t)) is the derivative with respect to t of that. It's (x'(t),y'(t),z'(t)). What is that?

6. Oct 1, 2012 #5
    So 6,4,-9?
    So the answer would be <6,4,-9>

7. Oct 1, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a normal vector to your plane alright. Any multiple of that is also a normal, yes? Do they want any specific one? That's why I asked if you want a 'unit normal'.

8. Oct 1, 2012 #7
    I guess that should do I just don't understand the conceptual behind it.

9. Oct 1, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you said, "I have figured out that the normal should be parallel to the perpendicular line" then that pretty much sums it up. Finding a vector tangent to the perpendicular line will then give you a normal. Just as you did.

10. Oct 1, 2012 #9
    Thank you very much it actually makes sense now.

11. Oct 2, 2012 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Part of your problem is shown here:
    A plane doesn't have "the tangent vector". Every line in the plane gives a tangent vector. A plane is completely determined by a single point and a vector normal to the plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook