Mastering Plane Physics: Solving Equations & Understanding Procedures

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving finding the equation of a plane in different scenarios. The first problem involves finding a plane through the origin and parallel to a given plane, while the second problem involves finding a plane passing through a given point and containing a given line. The conversation also touches on the concept of translations in relation to planes and finding noncollinear points to construct a plane.
itzela
I have been working on these two problems for a while now and I can't seem to come up with the right procedure to take them on:

1) Find the plane through the origin and parallel to the plane 2x - y + 3z = 1

* I thought this could be solved by taking the vector of the parallel plane <2, -1, 3> and cross multiplying with the origin, but that didn't get me anywhere.

2) Find the plane that passes through (1, 2, 3) and contains the line x=3t, y=1+t, z=2-t

* The same problem occurred in this case.

I know how to find a plane when given a point and a normal (perpendicular) vector... what would be of great help is if anyone could help me understand how to find the equation of planes under different circumstances (like the two problems above). Thanks a bunch =)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are always multiple ways of solving these kind of problems, but the following seems straightforward.

1) If you put in x=z=0 in the equation of the plane, you'll find the point where the plane crosses the y-axis. Now you need to translate the plane over some distance parallel to y to make this zero. (Do you know how translations work in general?)

2) You need three noncollinear points to be able to construct a plane. The equation of the line will give you 2, the given point in the plane is a third.

Thanks for the quick reply.
But no, I do not know how do a translation of a plane... could you explain :smile: ?

Just like you translate the graph of a function. The graph of f(x-c) is translated over a distance c wrt the graph of f(x).

i understood the first problem:

the normal vector to the plane would be <2, -1, 3> and the equation of the plane would be the dot product of the <2, -1, 3> *<x+0, y+0, z+0>=0
and the answer would be 2x - y + 3z = 0

for the second problem i am given two points:
(1, 2, 3) and (0, 1, 2)
* could I just plug in any number for t (say, 1) to get a third point?

Last edited:
Actually, you are only "given" one point. You clearly got the point (0, 1, 2) by putting t= 0 in the equation of the line. Since all points of the line are in the plane, choosing any other value of t (t=1 would be convenient) will give you a third point in the plane.

1. What is the difference between lift and weight in the context of planes?

Lift refers to the force that allows a plane to stay aloft and counteract the force of gravity, while weight is the force exerted by gravity on the plane. In order for a plane to fly, the lift force must be greater than the weight force.

2. How does air pressure affect a plane's flight?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in a plane's flight. As a plane moves through the air, the shape of its wings creates an area of low pressure on top and high pressure on the bottom. This pressure difference creates lift and allows the plane to fly.

3. What is the significance of the center of gravity in a plane's stability?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of the plane is evenly distributed. It is important for a plane to have a stable center of gravity in order to maintain balance and control during flight. If the center of gravity is off, the plane may become unstable and difficult to control.

4. How does the angle of attack affect a plane's lift and drag?

The angle of attack refers to the angle at which the plane's wings meet the oncoming air. As the angle of attack increases, so does the lift force, until a certain point where the wings can no longer generate enough lift and the plane stalls. However, a higher angle of attack also increases drag, which can slow down the plane.

5. Can a plane fly upside down?

Yes, a plane can fly upside down, but it requires a specific design and control surfaces to maintain stability and generate lift. Most commercial planes are not designed to fly upside down and attempting to do so could be dangerous.