1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planet density

1. May 5, 2006 #1
    2 part question

The density of a certain planet varies with radial distance as: D(r) = Do*[1-(a*r/Ro)], where Ro= 3.1623×106 m is the radius of the planet, Do = 3160 kg/m3 is its central density, and a = 0.160. Calculate the total mass of this planet.

Calculate the weight of a one kilogram mass located on the surface of the planet.

i tried integrating D(r) with and plugin in the radius of the planet but it doesn't work

i know this question has somethin to do with integrating through shell method but i'm not sure how to do it

can any1 help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why doesn't it work?

4. May 5, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you integrated exactly but here are some thoughts:

First, you must determined the total massof the planet, right? This is given by the integral of [itex] D(r) dV = D(r) r^2 sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi [/itex]. The angular integrals are trivial and give [itex] 4 \pi [/itex]. The radial integral is straightforward.

Then, you must use this in the universal law of gravitation to determine the *weight* of 1 kg at the surface of the planet, [itex] F= {G m M \over r^2} [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?