Planet inhabited purely by AI

• Thread starter fanieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ai Planet
In summary: Hybrids are individuals who are partly human and partly machine. They have a difficult time fitting in because they don't understand the human mentality. They are often rejected by human society and are at a disadvantage working as security guards, in factories, or any other jobs where people have to deal with people.Hybrids are individuals who are partly human and partly machine. They have a difficult time fitting in because they don't understand the human mentality. They are often rejected by human society and are at a disadvantage working as security guards, in factories, or any other jobs where people have to deal with people.The AI machines have evolved so
SlowThinker said:
Can you provide your definition of creativity, art, and abstract thoughts?
BTW, if your definition contains the word "human" in it, I don't accept it.
We're done here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Noisy Rhysling said:
Sounds like that definition was developed to prove that point. It certainly doesn't match any definitions of "hivemind" I've seen before.

Err, what? That's exactly the way I've always seen it used.

fanieh said:
The way I understand mind is. There are two kinds of minds.

lower mind - composed of the subsconscious/unconscious processes and concrete logical thoughts and I think this is the highest any AI can reach

higher mind - composed of abstract thoughts, source of love, poetry, intuition, creativity

No, this is entirely incorrect. The mind is not sectioned off into two parts at all. And its certainly not sectioned off like this. The ability to reason with complex thoughts requires a much more developed brain than just having basic emotions, as everyone's favorite pets demonstrate. Of course even that may not be true, as animals can reason and solve problems to some extent.

fanieh said:
Well.. actually these are the core teaching of esoteric schools of all ages of all cultures. According to them, these are the teachings that came from other worlds in the ancient past.

I hope you're not being serious. This is nonsense.

fanieh said:
If the universe has billions and billions of inhabited planet. Is it not impossible one that came to Earth and shared the teachings in the dawn of civilization.

It's so improbable that it essentially isn't worth bringing up in serious discussion. It's certainly not necessary to explain anything in the context of human evolution or the development of civilization and society.

fanieh said:
According to the teachings. Man is part animal, part of something higher or part of a spectrum of higher consciousness (who knows.. it may be beyond quantum gravity physics... even Penrose kept saying this).

Then Penrose is just making a wild guess with absolutely nothing to back it up.

fanieh said:
If all these are made into TV series or movies. Won't it become popular?

The popularity of a particular show or movie requires many things, not just an interesting concept.

fanieh said:
Perhaps the world is crazy about X-men, Avengers, etc. movies because we are catching subsconciously or acquiring a glimpse or shadows of the true situation?

No.

fanieh said:
Back to hard data. I thought they were trying to map the brain and simulate them with circuits. What progresses have been done along this line?

You'd need to start a thread in the biology forum I think. The topic is too large for this thread.

fanieh said:
What would happen if our neurons were replaced with transistors? Can they write poetry?

Neurons are not exactly like transistors so you can't just replace them one for one, but I understand your basic idea. The answer is that we don't know what would happen if we put together a large, complex electronic device like this. It's never been done and we don't yet know how.

Likes SlowThinker
Drakkith said:
Err, what? That's exactly the way I've always seen it used.
And never the way I've seen it, anywhere. I've seen "hiveminds" before in fiction. The Samish from Jack Chalker's "Soul Rider" series comes to mind immediately for me.

Noisy Rhysling said:
And never the way I've seen it, anywhere. I've seen "hiveminds" before in fiction. The Samish from Jack Chalker's "Soul Rider" series comes to mind immediately for me.
I've googled quite a bit but cannot find any information on this well-known character. Would you mind enlightening the illiterate?

SlowThinker said:
I've googled quite a bit but cannot find any information on this well-known character. Would you mind enlightening the illiterate?
Jack L. Chalker, the author, or "Samish", the aliens that wanted to incorporate humans into their hive?

Noisy Rhysling said:
Jack L. Chalker, the author, or "Samish", the aliens that wanted to incorporate humans into their hive?
We are discussing your definition of "hive mind".
The best I could find is a page about Soul Rider but no mention of Samish, or any hive mind at all.

Noisy Rhysling said:

I doubt I'm as well-read as you are, so perhaps I'm missing out on plenty of counter examples. All I can say is I've never seen the concept as anything other than the definition I gave above. I'm certainly not claiming that the definition I found is the only one. I'm sure there are plenty of variations on the idea in use that I've never seen.

Have you read Ender's Game? I believe the "buggers", also known as "Formics" in later books, used the type of hive mind I gave above.

Also, to clarify something, I mostly linked that particular definition because I found it extremely amusing that the first definition I found described people on the internet in the same fashion as SlowThinker did. The sci-fi definition accompanying it was mostly just to stem any "that's not an accurate definition" accusations that might crop up. Apparently it backfired. :biggrin:

SlowThinker said:
We are discussing your definition of "hive mind".
The best I could find is a page about Soul Rider but no mention of Samish, or any hive mind at all.
I'd send you my copies but I want to keep them. And why not defend your ... interesting ... interpretations of the term instead.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I'd send you my copies but I want to keep them. And why not defend your ... interesting ... interpretations of the term instead.
I don't understand what is there to defend. In my view, it's obviously true that human societies exhibit behavior different from any of its members. If you feel this is not true, I'd love to be corrected.

SlowThinker said:
I don't understand what is there to defend. In my view, it's obviously true that human societies exhibit behavior different from any of its members. If you feel this is not true, I'd love to be corrected.
When did I say that?

Noisy Rhysling said:
When did I say that?
You still fail to provide any definition of "hive mind", or point out any flaw in the definition Drakkith kindly found for me.
I don't understand your reasoning. Everything is wrong according to you, but you give no reasons why.

SlowThinker said:
You still fail to provide any definition of "hive mind", or point out any flaw in the definition Drakkith kindly found for me.
I don't understand your reasoning. Everything is wrong according to you, but you give no reasons why.
When did I say he was wrong? Read my posts fully and carefully before replying.

Noisy Rhysling said:
When did I say he was wrong? Read my posts fully and carefully before replying.
Then what did this mean?
Noisy Rhysling said:
Sounds like that definition was developed to prove that point. It certainly doesn't match any definitions of "hivemind" I've seen before.
If you agree with the definition, I don't see why you even responded. You have a funny way of conducting conversations.

SlowThinker said:
Then what did this mean?

If you agree with the definition, I don't see why you even responded. You have a funny way of conducting conversations.
The point was I've never heard of that definition before. But heck, I'm only 66. Still time to learn new stuff.

As for my conversational style, is that really something we need to explore in this thread?