1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planet X Gravitation Question

1. Apr 30, 2013 #1
    "Planet X" Gravitation Question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Planet X is a planet that has two spherical moons in circular orbits. The table summarizes the hypothetical data about the moons. Both moons have low axial spin rates. (G=6.67*10-11 Nm2/kg2).

Moon A: Mass=4.0*1020 kg. Radius - Data not provided. Moon orbit radius (center-to-center=2.0*108. Orbital period=4.0*106 s.

Moon B: Mass=1.5*1020 kg. Radius=2.0*105m. Moon orbit radius (center-to-center)=3.0*108 m. Orbital period - Data not provided.

a). Determine the acceleration due to gravity that you would expect on the surface of Moon B in m/s2.
    b). What is the mass of planet X in kg?

2. Relevant equations

Fg=[tex]\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a, I have no idea where to even start. For part b, all I could think of doing was to solve for the velocity of moon A in its orbit around Planet X. To do this, I did VA=[tex]\frac{2 \pi R}{T}[/tex] and solved. I got that the velocity of Moon A around Planet X is 314.159 m/s. However, I don't know what to do from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would expect that this is not the first problem of that type, and you can use known equations for it.
    Otherwise, it is possible to calculate it from scratch. Focus on the first moon: which force acts on it? What is required to keep it in a circular orbit?
    How are gravitational acceleration and gravitational force related?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted