1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planet X

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An astronaut weighs 672 N on the Earth. What is her weight on planet X, which has a radius Rx = Rearth / 2.00 and a mass Mx = Mearth/9.00?
    I know that the radius of Planet X is 3189.05
    and that the mass of Planet X is 6.638x10^23

2. Relevant equations
    so i know that i need to find the gravity for planet X found with this equation gx = GM/R^2 and also that the eequation to find her mass is F=Mm/r^2 (at least that is what i think)

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i tried using that equation but it was wrong and then i figued out i prob needed the gravity but did not know exactly how to use it cause what do i use G for in the initial equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not entirely clear to me what you did, so I'll start from the top. First of all, the formula for force due to gravity is F = GMm/r^2. So you have two equations[tex]W_{e}=\frac{GM_{e}m}{R_{e}^2}[/tex], and [tex]W_{x}=\frac{GM_{x}m}{R_{x}^2}[/tex]. Try taking a ratio of Wx and We and the answer should pop out.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    but how do i find out what G is for planet X? that is the part that is confusing me

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

G is the same everywhere in the universe. It is a fundamental constant of nature.

6. Oct 13, 2008 #5
    ok so G is not gravity then i am guessing. what is G exactly then? like what is its number

7. Oct 13, 2008 #6

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Oct 13, 2008 #7
    YES! got the answer. thanks man. i actually have a few more and if you have time that would be awesome. i will post them now.

9. Oct 13, 2008 #8

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No problemo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?