Can I Simulate Planetary Accretion with Disksim?

In summary, a planetary accretion model is a scientific theory that explains the formation of planets from dust and gas surrounding a young star. It can account for the formation of different types of planets based on distance and materials available, and is supported by observations and experiments. However, it has limitations in explaining the formation of gas giants and does not fully account for the composition and formation of moons in our own solar system. It is one of the leading theories for the formation of our solar system, but is still being studied and refined by scientists.
KarenRei
Hi - having come up blank when searching, I figured I'd ask here: do you know of any (free, preferably open source) planetary accretion models/simulators available for download? I'm primarily looking for solar system formation / evolution rather than planetary geochemistry (although I'd have an interest in the latter as well :) ).

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hmm, think I found one: disksim. Will give it a shot :)

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is a planetary accretion model?

A planetary accretion model is a scientific theory that explains how planets form from the dust and gas surrounding a young star. It suggests that small particles of dust and ice collide and stick together, gradually growing into larger and larger bodies until they eventually form planets.

2. How does the planetary accretion model explain the formation of different types of planets?

The planetary accretion model can explain the formation of different types of planets based on their distance from the star and the composition of the materials available. For example, closer to the star, rocky planets like Earth are formed, while further out gas giants like Jupiter are formed.

3. What evidence supports the planetary accretion model?

Scientists have observed protoplanetary disks around young stars, which are regions of dust and gas where planets are believed to form. Additionally, simulations and experiments have shown that particles can indeed stick together and form larger bodies, supporting the idea of planetary accretion.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to the planetary accretion model?

One limitation of the planetary accretion model is that it does not fully explain the formation of gas giants, as it is still unclear how these planets can form quickly enough before the gas in the protoplanetary disk dissipates. Additionally, the model does not account for the formation of moons or the distinct compositions of planets within our own solar system.

5. How does the planetary accretion model relate to the formation of our own solar system?

The planetary accretion model is one of the leading theories for the formation of our solar system. It explains the overall structure and composition of our solar system and has been supported by observations of other planetary systems. However, it is still being refined and studied by scientists to better understand the specifics of our own solar system's formation.