1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planetary Motion? I think?

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Yoda has just discovered planetary system consisting of star Dagobahr and its two planets: Rool and Krau. Planet Rool has average orbital radius 1.6 times as big as planet Krau. If planet Rool orbits Dagobahr in 2.9 Earth years, how long is a year for the resident of Krau? Give the answer in Earth years.

2. Relevant equations
    Trool^2/rRool^3 = TKrau^2/rKrau^3

3. The attempt at a solution

TRool =?
    rRool = 1.6*rKrau

I have no idea where to go from here...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try re-arranging your equation so that the orbital radii are on the same side. What happens if you substitute your values into the equation?
  4. Nov 29, 2008 #3
    Kepler's Third Law can be rewritten as R = kT2/3, where k is the constant of proportionality. When R increases by 1.6, by what factor does T increase?
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    Does T increase by 1.6, too?
  6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    That is incorrect. T would increase by 1.6 if T and R are directly proportional. However, according to Kepler's Law, R is proportional to T^2/3.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?