Keplers Laws of Planetary Motion: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses Kepler's laws of planetary motion and the derivation of the energy equation for a system with a planet orbiting the Sun using the universal gravitational constant and the mass of the Sun. The Lenz-Runge vector is obtained by considering the angular momentum vector and the path of the planet is shown to have a polar equation. The speaker expresses their uncertainty in understanding the problem and plans to learn more about vectors before attempting to solve it.
Gwilim
[problem]

State Keplers laws of planetary motion.

The motion of a planet about the Sun, assumed to be fixed at the origin, may be approximated by

r''= -ur^(-3) r

for u=y ms, where y is the universal gravitational constant and ms is the mass of the Sun. Derive the energy equation for this system, and by considering hXr''. where h is the angular momentum vector, obtain the Lenz-Runge vector. Now show that the path of the planet has polar equation

l/r = 1 - ecos(theta)

for suitable l and e.

[/problem]

There's so much I don't understand there it isn't even funny (obviously Keplers laws themselves will be no problem to learn, applying them however is something else). If someone can show me how to solve this type of problem once, I might be able to learn from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gwilim! How's it going? :smile:
Gwilim said:
The motion of a planet about the Sun, assumed to be fixed at the origin, may be approximated by

r''= -ur^(-3) r

Hint: the trick with equations involving r'' and r is to introduce r' …

in other words, how do you integrate r'.r or r''.r' ?

(and r'' x r ?)

Umm I think I'll go learn a bit about vectors and then come back to this

1. What are Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion?

Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion are three laws that describe the motion of planets around the sun. They were developed by the German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century.

2. What is Kepler's First Law?

Kepler's First Law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that the orbit of each planet around the sun is an ellipse, with the sun at one focus of the ellipse.

3. What is Kepler's Second Law?

Kepler's Second Law, also known as the Law of Equal Areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the sun will sweep out equal areas in equal times. In other words, a planet will move faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

4. What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. In simpler terms, the farther a planet is from the sun, the longer its orbital period.

5. How do Kepler's Laws impact our understanding of the solar system?

Kepler's Laws are fundamental in our understanding of the solar system and have helped us accurately predict the movements of planets and other objects in our solar system. They also played a crucial role in the development of Isaac Newton's theory of gravity and the modern understanding of celestial mechanics.