Planetary Physics Homework Help | Solving Non-Linear Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with understanding a homework problem related to the rate of growth of a planet in a Planetary Physics course. They are seeking help in rewriting a given equation in terms of dR/dt, using the relationship between mass and density for a solid body and the chain rule. The conversation includes some attempts at solving the problem and receiving support and encouragement from others.
PlanetaryStuff
Good afternoon folks. I am getting ready to start a Planetary Physics course next week and have been doing some of the old homework that is posted on the course site. I am struggling to figure this one out and would love some help. It's been about 5 years since first year calculus, so I am a little lost. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
1. Homework Statement

1. In class, we saw that the rate of growth of a planet can be written as

dM/dt = rsvR2(1+(8GrR2/v2) (1)

where M is the mass, t is time, r and rs are the densities of the solid planet and the planetesimal swarm, G is the gravitational constant, R is the planet radius and v is the relative velocity.

b) Using the relationship between mass and density for a solid body and the chain rule, rewrite equation (1) in terms of dR/dt. (1)

2. Equations
As far as any working equations for this, I assumed that we should use the fact that density = mass/volume. Since we assume the vacuum of space, the solid body would be spherical (or nearly so), thus volume could be substituted for 4/3 pir3 giving us the (useful?) equation to substitute in for both the swarm density and the density of the object density = (3m)/(4pir3)

Your answer to part b) is a first-order differential equation, but it’s non-linear, so it’s hard to solve completely.

it has been quite some time since I've worked with an equation like this in the fashion mentioned, so I am just struggling to make any headway. Any explanations would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
3. My work thus far:

I have tried several different methods of rewriting equation (1) in terms of dR/dt, using leibniz notation (dy/dx = dy/du*du/dx) in the form of dR/dt=(dR/dt*dM/dt) but am missing some of the mechanics that I am forgetting. This is chiefly where I need help.

PlanetaryStuff said:
3. My work thus far:

I have tried several different methods of rewriting equation (1) in terms of dR/dt, using leibniz notation (dy/dx = dy/du*du/dx) in the form of dR/dt=(dR/dt*dM/dt) but am missing some of the mechanics that I am forgetting. This is chiefly where I need help.

Your first problem lies here:

dR/dt=(dR/dt*dM/dt)

If you multiply out the differentials on the RHS of the equation, you do not get dR/dt. You get (dR*dM/dt^2), whatever that is.

Not only is your calculus rusty, but your basic arithmetic is suspect as well.

PlanetaryStuff said:
3. My work thus far:

If you look at it for a few seconds, you will see that dR/dt=(dR/dt*dM/dt) cannot be right (it would imply dM/dt =1!)

You know the relationship between M and R (through the density). Then just take the derivative of the two sides with respect to time. That will give you a relationship between dM/dt and dR/dt

Sorry, I typed out my restatement of my work incorrectly, my chain rule is correct on my paper, I just lost it in formatting.

dR/dt=(1/P)*dm/dt - (M/P2 )*dP/dt is where I have landed after your suggestion nrqed, I don't have a way of checking for correctness, so if you wouldn't mind giving me a thumbs up or down I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for being supportive SteamKing, It's great to know that when one returns from duty overseas we can look forward to such uplifting people in academia!

PlanetaryStuff said:
Sorry, I typed out my restatement of my work incorrectly, my chain rule is correct on my paper, I just lost it in formatting.

dR/dt=(1/P)*dm/dt - (M/P2 )*dP/dt is where I have landed after your suggestion nrqed, I don't have a way of checking for correctness, so if you wouldn't mind giving me a thumbs up or down I'd really appreciate it!

Well, I think that you are meant to take the density as being constant, in which case you do not need to take the derivative of P with respect to time (because it is simply zero).

You seem to have used R = m/P. This is not quite right. In your first post you seemed to be much closer to the correct expression. Recall that density is mass over volume (not mass over radius).

Thanks for being supportive SteamKing, It's great to know that when one returns from duty overseas we can look forward to such uplifting people in academia!
Congratulations for taking up quite difficult classes after what you have already been through. I am sincerely impressed. Best luck with your studies!

1. What is planetary physics problem?

The planetary physics problem is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the dynamics and properties of planets and their interactions with other celestial bodies, such as moons, stars, and asteroids. It involves understanding the formation, evolution, and behavior of planets, as well as their physical characteristics and processes.

2. What are the main challenges in studying planetary physics?

One of the main challenges in studying planetary physics is the vastness of the universe and the limited amount of data that can be collected from distant planets. Additionally, the complex and dynamic nature of planetary systems makes it difficult to accurately model and predict their behavior. Another challenge is the high cost and technological limitations of space exploration missions.

3. How does planetary physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying planetary physics allows us to gain insights into the formation and evolution of our own planet and other celestial bodies. It also helps us understand the physical processes and phenomena that govern the behavior of planets and their interactions with other objects in the universe. This knowledge can then be applied to other areas of physics and astronomy, leading to a deeper understanding of the universe as a whole.

4. What are some current research topics in planetary physics?

Some current research topics in planetary physics include planetary formation and evolution, the study of exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system), the search for habitable planets, and the investigation of planetary atmospheres and surface features. Other areas of research include the study of planetary magnetospheres, planetary dynamics and orbits, and the effects of space weather on planets.

5. How does planetary physics impact our daily lives?

While the study of planetary physics may seem distant from our daily lives, it has many practical applications. Understanding the physical processes that shape and affect planets can help us better predict and mitigate natural disasters on Earth, such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. It also plays a crucial role in space exploration and the development of technologies and materials for space travel. Additionally, the study of exoplanets may one day lead to the discovery of new habitable worlds, potentially expanding our understanding of life in the universe.