Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planetary properties

1. Dec 6, 2003 #1
    Can anyone provide a link or document that compares the properties of the planets? I'm interested in all of the following: mass, composition, density, obliquity, orbital eccentricity, semimajor axis, atmosphere, magnetic field, #satellites, internal heating. I'm also interested in the relevant properties of the Earth's moon, but it wouldn't be such a big deal to look those up. I just don't want to have to look these properties up for each planet. I was hoping someone had a quick link on hand. Thanks a lot if you can help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2003 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

Sure, this site has all the info you were looking for. Just sellect a planet and click on "Planetary Facts".

4. Dec 6, 2003 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Dec 6, 2003 #4

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This site has a lot of data in sets of tables, easily copied and pasted into other apps:
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap021016.html
    It may not have all that you are looking for, but there are plenty of links to other sites.

6. Dec 7, 2003 #5
    Are you sure that's the right link?

7. Dec 7, 2003 #6

Labguy

Science Advisor

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  8. Dec 7, 2003 #7

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Dec 7, 2003 #8
    ah excellent
    thank you all very much

10. Dec 9, 2003 #9
    Hi again. Your links were all very helpful. I am now interested in information about the histories and evolution of Venus, Earth and Mars and how they are similar/different. I've done about a million google searches. There doesn't seem to be much. Here's what I have so far. If you can contribute, great!

History Venus
    – Possible collision to explain tilt; resurfaced ~1By ago by lava flows, suggests liquid mantle, may have caused core to solidify (lava flows releases lots of heat), probably initially had atmosphere similar to earth’s but water lost due to evaporation and dissociation by UV rays, present atmosphere attributed to volcanic outgasing, CO2 accumulated in atmosphere without any water to dissolve into, runaway greenhouse effect,

History Earth
    – collision to form moon, initial atmosphere much like Venus’, CO2 dissolved into ocean water and became incorporated into rocks, CO2 further reduced by plants,

History Mars
    – early atmosphere thicker, warmer, possibly allowing for liquid water on surface, some parts of surface very young, indicates recent lava flows, crater erosion indicates water flows, has lost lighter elements in atmosphere due to low g

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?