Exploring the Universe: My Journey in Planetary Science Careers

In summary, a person who wants to pursue Planetary Science should do their research and make sure they have a plan B in case they don't get into the field.
Bumpeh
First off, let me start by saying this isn't a thread asking about career prospects or salary prospects or anything like that. I've finally reached a point in my life where I know I want to pursue physics, and I'm extremely thrilled by the idea of Planetary Science. Nor do I have a romanticized view of a scientist, I understand that it would be hard work and I may die nameless without having contributed something of great importance, I don't plan on being the one to come up with the all defining theory of everything or to even have textbooks written about me. But the idea of studying the planets and many bodies in our solar system is something that really interests me. I like the idea of learning everything I can about our solar system and the physics of the world and greater Universe simply for me. I'm not interested in making a lot of money or becoming famous, I just want to be happy. I've read in a few places that Planetary Science can be grueling work, and I understand a Physics degree and PhD in and of itself is grueling work.

I'm curious to hear from any planetary scientists or even astrophysicists here on this forum about their work. And when I say Planetary Scientist and Astrophysicist, I mean someone who really is getting paid to do it, it's their career, their livelihood. I understand anyone can study the planets and stars casually, and that's great for them, but I want to hear from people who have actually gone to or are going to school to pursue these careers, and their own experiences within them. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are not a whole lot of jobs in planetary science out there.

It would be a great sideline for a career in teaching physics, physical science, Earth science, and/or astronomy.

Bumpeh said:
First off, let me start by saying this isn't a thread asking about career prospects or salary prospects or anything like that. I've finally reached a point in my life where I know I want to pursue physics, and I'm extremely thrilled by the idea of Planetary Science. Nor do I have a romanticized view of a scientist, I understand that it would be hard work and I may die nameless without having contributed something of great importance, I don't plan on being the one to come up with the all defining theory of everything or to even have textbooks written about me. But the idea of studying the planets and many bodies in our solar system is something that really interests me. I like the idea of learning everything I can about our solar system and the physics of the world and greater Universe simply for me. I'm not interested in making a lot of money or becoming famous, I just want to be happy. I've read in a few places that Planetary Science can be grueling work, and I understand a Physics degree and PhD in and of itself is grueling work.

I'm curious to hear from any planetary scientists or even astrophysicists here on this forum about their work. And when I say Planetary Scientist and Astrophysicist, I mean someone who really is getting paid to do it, it's their career, their livelihood. I understand anyone can study the planets and stars casually, and that's great for them, but I want to hear from people who have actually gone to or are going to school to pursue these careers, and their own experiences within them. Thanks!

If you want to get into Planetary Science, then cool: go for it. But please keep a plan B ready. Since Planetary Science is such a small field, it is very likely that you will fail to get into it. Please develop marketable skills so you won't end up surprised.

Well, I will be going for a Physics Bachelor's degree and I will be taking as many physics classes as possible. One of the possible Graduate Schools I've been looking at has a Physics Department with a Planetary Science PhD, so maybe I can go for the Physics PhD but still try to do some work in Planetary Science. I think I still have lots of time to really decide what I want to do in Physics, once I begin taking some higher level classes I may discover something I'm more interested in.

1. What is planetary science?

Planetary science is a field of study that focuses on the scientific exploration of celestial bodies such as planets, moons, asteroids, and comets. It involves a multidisciplinary approach, combining aspects of astronomy, geology, physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. What career opportunities are available in planetary science?

Careers in planetary science can include research positions at universities or government agencies, such as NASA or the European Space Agency. Other opportunities may be available in the private sector, such as working for aerospace companies or consulting firms.

3. What education is required for a career in planetary science?

Most careers in planetary science require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as astronomy, physics, or geology. However, for more advanced positions, a master's or doctoral degree may be necessary. It is also important to have a strong background in mathematics and computer science.

4. What skills are important for a successful career in planetary science?

Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as attention to detail, are crucial for a career in planetary science. Additionally, excellent communication and problem-solving skills are important for collaborating with others and presenting research findings.

5. What current research is being done in planetary science?

Current research in planetary science covers a wide range of topics, including the search for habitable planets outside of our solar system, the study of the formation and evolution of planets, and the exploration of the potential for life on other celestial bodies. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the effects of space weather on planets, as well as the study of planetary atmospheres and surfaces.