Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planets around Alpha Centauri

1. Aug 21, 2005 #1
    An article about the likely magnitudes and feasibility of terrestrial sized rocky planets orbiting in the habitable zones in the Alpha Centauri system:

(link removed)

AA
    http://www.publishedauthors.net/aa_spaceagent/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2005 #2
    Are you trying to sell that book here or something? Looks like science fiction to me.

4. Aug 21, 2005 #3
    But didn't the Robinsons already explore that area of space?

5. Aug 21, 2005 #4
    Alpha Centauri is a trinary system. I dought you'll find any hospitible worlds there. The orbits are just to unstable.

6. Aug 21, 2005 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, that's where they were headed, but they never actually got there because they became Lost in Space

7. Aug 21, 2005 #6

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alpha Centuari A and B have a closest approach of about 11 AU. This means that both have a zone in which they could have stable planetary orbits that extends out to 2 AU from each star. Alpha Centauri C is too small and far away to have any significant effect on the stabilty of planets around the other two (In fact, it is not even clear whether C is even gravitationally bound to A and B)

8. Aug 22, 2005 #7
    Of course it is possible for stable orbits to exist, but it isn't that likely.

9. Oct 26, 2006 #8
    You would have thought being the nearest star system to ours that we'd have found planets already.

10. Oct 26, 2006 #9

TDS

To support your statement.

I would say that the statement "One cannot see the forest for the trees" applies here.:biggrin:

11. Oct 26, 2006 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Have people looked for planets there? I would think we could have deteced planets if they were there.

12. Oct 26, 2006 #11

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alpha Centauri being closest star system doesn't really benefit the detection techniques. We're not trying to "see" the planets. We're trying to measure a doppler shift in a star's velocity caused by an orbiting planet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?