Plank & Bullet Experiment: Questions Explained

• Thread starter Infamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
In summary: So if you had a high speed video of the outside observer, you would see the spaceship observer's clock go much slower than his.In summary, the experiment describes a scenario where a bullet is launched at a plank at high speed and is observed to take longer to hit the plank by an observer on a moving spacecraft, due to the effects of time dilation. This can be compared to the train-light experiment where the path of a light beam appears different to observers in different frames of reference.
Infamo
I don't know if you guys are fimiliar with this expiriment so I'll describe it first. Let's say that there's a plank(1km and at rest with respect to the plank) away, and I launch a bullet at the plank and 1,000km/sec, and exactly one second later, the bullet hits the plank. Now, the depth at which the bullet travels into the plank, is going to depend on its momentum. Now let's say that there is a spacecraft moving perpindicular to the bullets trajectory at very high speed(gamma factor of 10). The expiriment states, that the observer in the spacecraft is going to view the bullet taking 10sec to hit the plank instead of 1sec as observed by the stationary(with respect to the plank) observer because of time dialation(which I understand).

Now here are my questions.
1.) If your going 1,000km/sec, wouldn't it take a lot less then 1sec to travel 1km.
2.) i thought that you can only experience time dilation and space concraction in parellel reference frames.

thanks in advance

Keep in mind, i only started learning relativity 4-5weeks ago and I'm only a high school senior.

Physics news on Phys.org
Infamo said:
Now here are my questions.
1.) If your going 1,000km/sec, wouldn't it take a lot less then 1sec to travel 1km.
It should take less than 1 s. It might be a misprint.

Infamo said:
2.) i thought that you can only experience time dilation and space concraction in parellel reference frames.

I think it is similar to the train-light experiment where a light beam is thrown vertically up in a carriage in a moving train. The observer in the train observes a straight line path while the observer outside the train moving with respect to train observes a slanted path of the light. You can calculate time-dilation via it.

Just replace the light with the bullet, remove the train and instead of it, move the platform. Time dilation will occur.

btw, length contraction will occur parallel to the direction of motion. Never heard of the time part though but I might be wrong.

Incidentally what are "parallel" reference frames. I haven't studied relativity much as I am only a sophomore in HS. Could you explain?

Last edited:
For the observer at rest wrt (with respect to) the plank, the distance is one km and the bullets velocity is 1000m/sec and so the bullet strikes the plate in one second.

For the spaceship observer, the distance is 1 km and the bullets speed is 1000m/s (you are correct about distances and velocities perpindicular to the motion not having relativistic corrections) so he sees the bullet hit the plank after 1 sec.

At the instant the bullet hits the plank, the observer on the ground sees his clock read 1 sec and the spaceship clock read .1 sec (1/gamma factor [10]).

At the instant the bullet hits the plank, the observer in the spaceship sees his clock read 1 sec and the grounds observer's clock read .1 sec (1/gamma factor [10]).

1. What is the purpose of the Plank & Bullet Experiment?

The Plank & Bullet Experiment is used to demonstrate the conservation of momentum and energy in a collision between two objects. It can also be used to calculate the speed and direction of the objects after the collision.

2. How does the Plank & Bullet Experiment work?

In the experiment, a bullet is shot into a stationary wooden plank. The bullet will embed itself into the plank, causing it to move forward. By measuring the distance the plank moves, the mass of the bullet, and the speed of the bullet, the conservation of momentum and energy can be demonstrated.

3. What is the significance of the Plank & Bullet Experiment?

The Plank & Bullet Experiment is significant because it helps to illustrate important principles in physics, such as momentum and energy conservation. It also has real-world applications, such as in understanding and analyzing collisions in sports or car accidents.

4. Can the Plank & Bullet Experiment be modified for different scenarios?

Yes, the experiment can be modified by changing the mass, speed, or materials of the objects involved. For example, a heavier or faster bullet may result in a larger displacement of the plank. Different materials may also affect the outcome of the experiment.

5. Are there any limitations or sources of error in the Plank & Bullet Experiment?

While the experiment is a good demonstration of the principles of momentum and energy conservation, there are some limitations and potential sources of error. These may include air resistance, friction, and measurement errors. It is important to carefully control and account for these factors in order to obtain accurate results.