Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plank length lattice size.

1. Mar 15, 2013 #1

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In elementary particle theory, professor Susskind encourages us to think of space-time as divided into a lattice of cells. We use annihilation and creation operators in the Lagrangian to consume a particle in a cell and to create a new particle in an adjacent cell. Repeated application of Lagrangians cause particles to move. The final step is to take the limit as lattice size approaches zero.

I imagine a delta A-B, where A is the limit as lattice size approaches zero, and B is the limit as lattice size approaches the Plank length. Is such a delta meaningful? If so, does the value of that delta reveal anything about the underlying quantization of space-time?

By the way, it thrills me that there exists a forum such as this where one can post such questions and get illuminating answers. Thank you all for being so generous with your time to assist amateurs struggling to understand.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2013 #2
    I'm not quite sure I understand your delta question, but I can tell you there is an in-the-making quantum theory of gravitation called "canonical quantum gravity," also known as "loop quantum gravity" for historical reasons. This is a quantum theory of spacetime that predicts a spacetime lattice. It is an active area of research, though the underdog of quantum gravity to be sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook