1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planning for Astrophysics major, need some help

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    Hello, I need some help figuring out my college plan as an undergraduate. I'm looking at applying to Ohio State University, University of Arizona, and Penn State University. I'm looking to do astrophysics, but most of them don't have it,so I'm looking to double major as physics and astronomy, then do astrophysics for graduate program. What my question is, if I double major would it be easier to find jobs in the long run?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

eri

Sounds like a good plan, and those are great schools for physics and astronomy. A double major certainly won't hurt you, but the physics major will be a lot more useful than the astronomy major.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    Those are some good schools, but if you're sure you want to get into Astrophysics, Clemson University (where I'm currently attending) and University of Georgia both have very good astro departments for undergraduates, as well as graduate students.

I second eri's thoughts, getting a Physics major would be better than an Astronomy major, but either doubling or getting a minor in Astronomy would be advantageous.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4
    Thanks for the advice, very helpful...and I'll have to look into Clemson, thanks jd.

6. Nov 10, 2009 #5

eri

Actually, Clemson doesn't have an astronomy department, just physics. But they do have astronomers and astrophysicists, and offer many courses in the field. While it's a good school, Georgia Tech and UNC Chapel Hill are better in the same area. Not to disparage Clemson (I also have close ties to the school) but I wouldn't put it in the same field as Ohio State or U of Arizona for astronomy. But since you need physics mostly anyway, it's fine. And they do offer a lot of opportunities to do research with professors - look into their Creative Inquiry program and participate in the SARA REU program.

7. Nov 10, 2009 #6
    What you really need to find jobs in general, is a good general undergraduate education (which includes humanities, extra curricular activities, and lots of outside reading on topics that have nothing to do with your major).

8. Nov 10, 2009 #7
    Since we're tossing school names out there, Michigan State University has astrophysics. Good connections with observatories ( http://www.pa.msu.edu/soarmsu/soar.html [Broken] ) and has the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory on site where astro research (nuclear) is done.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Nov 10, 2009 #8
    Thanks Mororvia, I'll have to look into MSU

10. Nov 10, 2009 #9
    If any one out there knows of universities with good physics programs, any information would help (still in the applying stage).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook