Planning to become a commercial pilot

• Thread starter lost
  • Start date
In summary: To understand the physics, you will need to understand basic calculus.In summary, becoming a commercial pilot requires a basic understanding of physics, particularly in terms of the forces acting on an aircraft and how they affect flight. While rote memorization and natural ability can get you through, truly understanding the physics behind flying can greatly benefit your career. It is important to understand concepts such as lift, stall, weight and balance, and navigation techniques. However, the level of physics knowledge needed may vary depending on your career goals. Some pilots have degrees in non-technical fields, but a strong understanding of physics can give you an edge in the field. Overall, knowing the applied science aspect of flight is more important than advanced physics knowledge.
lost
Hi everybody
I am new here .. anyhow
I have a question .. I am planning to become a commercial pilot and I want to know how much physics you need i mean like for engineering you need tons its nothing but physics right .. so is it like same for aviation ?? some people tell me yea you do need a lot and some said well not a lot .. hope you guys can help me here .. and by the way my username is not to idolize the show .. its because i am lost I am physics .. :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
lost said:
Hi everybody
I am new here .. anyhow
I have a question .. I am planning to become a commercial pilot and I want to know how much physics you need i mean like for engineering you need tons its nothing but physics right .. so is it like same for aviation ?? some people tell me yea you do need a lot and some said well not a lot .. hope you guys can help me here .. and by the way my username is not to idolize the show .. its because i am lost I am physics .. :yuck:

Most of the pilots I have met in the service have a degree in either business or political science... :rofl:

Most if not all of those guys and gals go on to be commercial pilots.

lost said:
Hi everybody
I am new here .. anyhow

I guess that will depend on how far you go in your career. To get started, you can expect to see a fair amount in regards to understanding the forces that act on an aircraft and how they effect you, especially in terms of lift and stall. You won't be developing equations or anything theoretical, but you will be talking ideas and concepts that you had better understand. For example, do you understand this question and answer:

Q: What causes an aircraft to turn in a bank?
A: The horizontal component of lift
These are the most basic things from which almost everything depends on. You will look at physics again when dealing with weight and balance of an aircraft (simply summation of moments to determine aircraft CG and compare to acceptible locations stated for that aircraft). You'll also be dealing with vectors when it comes to navigation and flight technique (crabbing/sliding into a cross wind).

I would dare to say that the majority is rote memorization and natural ability. I have seen plenty of non technical people do very well in the field. However, I will say that you will be much better off if you can truly understand the physics behind everything that goes on in an aircraft. For example, you can know what the best glide speed is for an aircraft and utilize it when needs be, but do you really undestand why it is what it is?

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Last edited:
lost said:
Hi everybody
I am new here .. anyhow

did u know that bruce dickinson, singer of iron maiden is a pilot. :rolleyes:

Townsend said:
Most of the pilots I have met in the service have a degree in either business or political science... :rofl:

Most if not all of those guys and gals go on to be commercial pilots.

thanks .. anything is helpful to me right now :)

FredGarvin said:
I guess that will depend on how far you go in your career. To get started, you can expect to see a fair amount in regards to understanding the forces that act on an aircraft and how they effect you, especially in terms of lift and stall. You won't be developing equations or anything theoretical, but you will be talking ideas and concepts that you had better understand. For example, do you understand this question and answer:

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Thank you so much !
i truly appreciate it .. you have no idea how helpful this is to me ..
wow i feel relieved someone knew the answer to my question .. even my physics professor wasn't too sure ! :)

gurkhawarhorse said:
did u know that bruce dickinson, singer of iron maiden is a pilot. :rolleyes:

no i did not know that .. quite interesting :)

Well the knowledge of physics is minimal. What really matters is understanding what you doing and knowing the applied science aspect of the flight. Knowing the physics behind it is helpful but not essential.

In a small plane you read performance charts for various phases of the flight: take-off, density altitude, fuel burn, etc. In addition you make distance/time/speed calculations. You must understand the various critical speeds of the aircraft.

In the training manuals you will not see anything beyond algebra and little trig.

1. What are the requirements to become a commercial pilot?

To become a commercial pilot, you must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or equivalent. You must also obtain a commercial pilot's license from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which requires a minimum of 250 flight hours, including 100 hours as a pilot-in-command and 50 hours of cross-country flying.

2. How long does it take to become a commercial pilot?

The amount of time it takes to become a commercial pilot can vary, but on average it takes around 1-2 years. This includes time to complete the necessary flight training, obtain a commercial pilot's license, and gain experience through flight hours. The length of time can also depend on how often you are able to train and the type of flight school or program you choose.

3. What is the cost of becoming a commercial pilot?

The cost of becoming a commercial pilot can vary greatly depending on the flight school or program you choose, the type of aircraft you train in, and the number of flight hours needed. On average, it can cost anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000. It is important to research and budget for all expenses such as flight training, books and materials, medical exams, and exam fees.

4. What are the job prospects for commercial pilots?

The job outlook for commercial pilots is positive, with a projected growth of 4% from 2019-2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The demand for air travel is expected to increase, leading to a need for more commercial pilots. However, competition for jobs at major airlines can be fierce, so gaining experience and building a strong network can be beneficial.

5. Are there any physical requirements to become a commercial pilot?

The FAA does have certain medical requirements for commercial pilots, including having good vision, hearing, and overall physical health. You will need to pass a medical exam by an FAA-approved doctor before obtaining your commercial pilot's license. If you have any medical conditions, it is important to research and discuss with your doctor if it will affect your ability to become a commercial pilot.