• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Planning to become a commercial pilot

  • Thread starter lost
  • Start date
  • #1
5
0

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everybody
I am new here .. anyhow
I have a question .. I am planning to become a commercial pilot and I wanna know how much physics you need i mean like for engineering you need tons its nothing but physics right .. so is it like same for aviation ?? some people tell me yea you do need a lot and some said well not a lot .. hope you guys can help me here .. and by the way my username is not to idolize the show .. its because i am lost im physics .. :yuck:
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
221
0
lost said:
Hi everybody
I am new here .. anyhow
I have a question .. I am planning to become a commercial pilot and I wanna know how much physics you need i mean like for engineering you need tons its nothing but physics right .. so is it like same for aviation ?? some people tell me yea you do need a lot and some said well not a lot .. hope you guys can help me here .. and by the way my username is not to idolize the show .. its because i am lost im physics .. :yuck:
Most of the pilots I have met in the service have a degree in either business or political science.... :rofl:

Most if not all of those guys and gals go on to be commercial pilots.
 
  • #3
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
5,066
6
lost said:
Hi everybody
I am new here .. anyhow
I have a question .. I am planning to become a commercial pilot and I wanna know how much physics you need i mean like for engineering you need tons its nothing but physics right .. so is it like same for aviation ?? some people tell me yea you do need a lot and some said well not a lot .. hope you guys can help me here .. and by the way my username is not to idolize the show .. its because i am lost im physics .. :yuck:
I guess that will depend on how far you go in your career. To get started, you can expect to see a fair amount in regards to understanding the forces that act on an aircraft and how they effect you, especially in terms of lift and stall. You won't be developing equations or anything theoretical, but you will be talking ideas and concepts that you had better understand. For example, do you understand this question and answer:

Q: What causes an aircraft to turn in a bank?
A: The horizontal component of lift
These are the most basic things from which almost everything depends on. You will look at physics again when dealing with weight and balance of an aircraft (simply summation of moments to determine aircraft CG and compare to acceptible locations stated for that aircraft). You'll also be dealing with vectors when it comes to navigation and flight technique (crabbing/sliding into a cross wind).

I would dare to say that the majority is rote memorization and natural ability. I have seen plenty of non technical people do very well in the field. However, I will say that you will be much better off if you can truly understand the physics behind everything that goes on in an aircraft. For example, you can know what the best glide speed is for an aircraft and utilize it when needs be, but do you really undestand why it is what it is?

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.
 
Last edited:
  • #4
lost said:
Hi everybody
I am new here .. anyhow
I have a question .. I am planning to become a commercial pilot and I wanna know how much physics you need i mean like for engineering you need tons its nothing but physics right .. so is it like same for aviation ?? some people tell me yea you do need a lot and some said well not a lot .. hope you guys can help me here .. and by the way my username is not to idolize the show .. its because i am lost im physics .. :yuck:
did u know that bruce dickinson, singer of iron maiden is a pilot. :rolleyes:
 
  • #5
5
0
Townsend said:
Most of the pilots I have met in the service have a degree in either business or political science.... :rofl:

Most if not all of those guys and gals go on to be commercial pilots.
thanks .. anything is helpful to me right now :)
 
  • #6
5
0
FredGarvin said:
I guess that will depend on how far you go in your career. To get started, you can expect to see a fair amount in regards to understanding the forces that act on an aircraft and how they effect you, especially in terms of lift and stall. You won't be developing equations or anything theoretical, but you will be talking ideas and concepts that you had better understand. For example, do you understand this question and answer:

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.
Thank you so much !!
i truely appreciate it .. you have no idea how helpful this is to me ..
wow i feel relieved someone knew the answer to my question .. even my physics professor wasn't too sure !! :)
 
  • #7
5
0
gurkhawarhorse said:
did u know that bruce dickinson, singer of iron maiden is a pilot. :rolleyes:
no i did not know that .. quite interesting :)
 
  • #8
39
0
Well the knowledge of physics is minimal. What really matters is understanding what you doing and knowing the applied science aspect of the flight. Knowing the physics behind it is helpful but not essential.

In a small plane you read performance charts for various phases of the flight: take-off, density altitude, fuel burn, etc. In addition you make distance/time/speed calculations. You must understand the various critical speeds of the aircraft.

In the training manuals you will not see anything beyond algebra and little trig.
 

Related Threads for: Planning to become a commercial pilot

Replies
12
Views
6K
Replies
10
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
9K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
1K
Top