1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planning to become a commercial pilot

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    Hi everybody
    I am new here .. anyhow
    I have a question .. I am planning to become a commercial pilot and I wanna know how much physics you need i mean like for engineering you need tons its nothing but physics right .. so is it like same for aviation ?? some people tell me yea you do need a lot and some said well not a lot .. hope you guys can help me here .. and by the way my username is not to idolize the show .. its because i am lost im physics .. :yuck:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2
    Most of the pilots I have met in the service have a degree in either business or political science.... :rofl:

Most if not all of those guys and gals go on to be commercial pilots.
  4. Sep 28, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

I guess that will depend on how far you go in your career. To get started, you can expect to see a fair amount in regards to understanding the forces that act on an aircraft and how they effect you, especially in terms of lift and stall. You won't be developing equations or anything theoretical, but you will be talking ideas and concepts that you had better understand. For example, do you understand this question and answer:

These are the most basic things from which almost everything depends on. You will look at physics again when dealing with weight and balance of an aircraft (simply summation of moments to determine aircraft CG and compare to acceptible locations stated for that aircraft). You'll also be dealing with vectors when it comes to navigation and flight technique (crabbing/sliding into a cross wind).

I would dare to say that the majority is rote memorization and natural ability. I have seen plenty of non technical people do very well in the field. However, I will say that you will be much better off if you can truly understand the physics behind everything that goes on in an aircraft. For example, you can know what the best glide speed is for an aircraft and utilize it when needs be, but do you really undestand why it is what it is?

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  5. Sep 28, 2005 #4
    did u know that bruce dickinson, singer of iron maiden is a pilot. :rolleyes:
  6. Sep 28, 2005 #5
    thanks .. anything is helpful to me right now :)
  7. Sep 28, 2005 #6
    Thank you so much !!
    i truely appreciate it .. you have no idea how helpful this is to me ..
    wow i feel relieved someone knew the answer to my question .. even my physics professor wasn't too sure !! :)
  8. Sep 28, 2005 #7
    no i did not know that .. quite interesting :)
  9. Sep 28, 2005 #8
    Well the knowledge of physics is minimal. What really matters is understanding what you doing and knowing the applied science aspect of the flight. Knowing the physics behind it is helpful but not essential.

In a small plane you read performance charts for various phases of the flight: take-off, density altitude, fuel burn, etc. In addition you make distance/time/speed calculations. You must understand the various critical speeds of the aircraft.

In the training manuals you will not see anything beyond algebra and little trig.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?