1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plant root and nitrogen experiment

1. Apr 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A high school experiment shows a plant immersed in a solution of nitrate ions. The beaker is closed but has an air vent passing into the solution.
    Q. Why is air bubbled into the solution
    Q. Why is the beaker covered with black paper
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My answer Q2. The air will provide oxygen to the root cells for them to respire.
    My answer Q2. To mimmic real plant conditions/ environment in soil. The roots are away from light in soil too.

Q2. Is my main problem. I'm just guessing the answer.

Please comment on my answers
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Unless the question refers to a known experiment that was discussed earlier IMHO it is worded in a way that makes it impossible to give any reasonable answer. It is just way too ambiguous.

4. Apr 10, 2015 #3
    Okay I'll try again. The question says "A student uses apparatus (shown as diagram but I'll describe the set up below) to show if nitrate ions help plants to grow".

Diagram shows two beakers containing minerals in solution. Only one of the brakers contains the nitrate.
    The roots of a 2 plants are inserted into the different solution and then the plants are inspected for growth weeks later.
    The beakers are closed at the top but have an air vent passing into the solution through which air can be bubbled into the solution.
    Q1. Why is air bubbled into the solution
    Q2. Why is the beaker covered with black paper

A2. The air will provide oxygen to the root cells for them to respire.
    A2. To mimmic real plant conditions/ environment in soil. The roots are away from light in soil too.

Q2. Is my main problem. I'm just guessing the answer.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  5. Apr 10, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Can't think of a better answer.

6. Apr 10, 2015 #5
    Thanks. Q2 answer sounds too simplistic so was having doubts

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted