How Much Pressure to Open Plant Cell Stomata?

In summary, the turgor pressure in guard cells of broad bean leaves can range from 0.3 MPa to 5.0 MPa, with higher pressure indicating closed stomata and lower pressure indicating open stomata. There is research suggesting that mechanical stimulation, such as sound waves, can influence stomata opening. However, there is limited research on the correlation between air pressure and stomata opening, with most studies coming from China and some older studies from Canada. The television show Myth-busters also conducted an experiment on this topic with positive results.
Justin Kirk
Can someone explain to me how much pressure it would take to open the stomata of a plant cell?

Biology news on Phys.org
Do you mean internal osmotic pressure - turgor pressure - in guard cells?

Based on this paper, open stomates in broad bean leaves have turgor pressures ranging from a low of 0.3 MPa to as high as 5.0 MPa.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC88815/

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you mean.

I am writing a paper on the influence of sound waves on plant growth. I have read mechanical stimulation can open stomatas. What I was wondering was what is the amount of pressure the stomata needed to open or close. I take the high pressure of 5 MPa to mean the stomata is closed and the 0.3 MPa to mean the stomata is open? I'm trying to draw a correlation between air pressure and stomata opening. If you know of any research about this topic please let me know. I found a good number of resources, mostly coming from China. I have not been able to find much here in the states. There are papers coming from Canada but they were written about 40 years ago. I watched an episode of Myth-buster's where they performed the experiment and found some positive results.

1. How does pressure affect the opening of plant cell stomata?

Pressure plays a crucial role in the opening and closing of plant cell stomata. When there is a decrease in pressure, the guard cells surrounding the stomata shrink, causing the stomata to close. On the other hand, an increase in pressure causes the guard cells to swell, leading to the opening of the stomata.

2. What is the ideal pressure for optimal stomata opening?

The ideal pressure for the opening of plant cell stomata varies depending on the type of plant and environmental conditions. Generally, a pressure range of 10 to 60 kilopascals (kPa) is considered optimal for stomata opening.

3. Can high pressure cause damage to plant cell stomata?

Yes, high pressure can cause damage to plant cell stomata. When the pressure is too high, the guard cells can burst, leading to irreversible damage to the stomata. This can also hinder the process of photosynthesis and affect the overall health of the plant.

4. How do environmental factors impact the pressure required to open plant cell stomata?

Environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and light intensity can affect the pressure required to open plant cell stomata. For example, high temperatures and low humidity can lead to higher pressure requirements for stomata opening, while low temperatures and high humidity may require lower pressures.

5. Can plant cells adjust their pressure requirements for stomata opening?

Yes, plant cells have the ability to adjust their pressure requirements for stomata opening based on environmental conditions. This is known as acclimation and it helps the plant to regulate water loss and maintain optimal stomata function in varying conditions.