Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plant stomota

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    Can someone explain to me how much pressure it would take to open the stomata of a plant cell?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean internal osmotic pressure - turgor pressure - in guard cells?

Based on this paper, open stomates in broad bean leaves have turgor pressures ranging from a low of 0.3 MPa to as high as 5.0 MPa.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC88815/

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you mean.

4. Jul 25, 2010 #3
    I am writing a paper on the influence of sound waves on plant growth. I have read mechanical stimulation can open stomatas. What I was wondering was what is the amount of pressure the stomata needed to open or close. I take the high pressure of 5 MPa to mean the stomata is closed and the 0.3 MPa to mean the stomata is open? I'm trying to draw a correlation between air pressure and stomata opening. If you know of any research about this topic please let me know. I found a good number of resources, mostly coming from China. I have not been able to find much here in the states. There are papers coming from Canada but they were written about 40 years ago. I watched an episode of Myth-buster's where they performed the experiment and found some positive results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook