Planet Cooling Homework: Calculating Time to Cool Down from 100K to 50K

• Thread starter ma18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary: It takes a planet with a surface temperature of 50K and a radius of 500 km 10^42 years to cool down to 50K.
ma18

Homework Statement

How much time does it take a planet with surface temperature of 100K and a radius of 500 km to cool down to 50K, ignoring solar heating. Assume E_thermal = 3/2 NkT and that the surface radiates as a blackbody. Calculate this by using the relationship between thermal energy and temperature and the relationship between the rate of energy loss dE/dt and temperature.

Homework Equations

E_thermal = 3/2 NkT

Power emitted/Area = σT^4

The Attempt at a Solution

Power = Energy/Time

Energy/Area*Time = σT^4

Energy = σT^4 * A*t

Subbing for thermal energy

3/2 NkT = σT^4 * A*t

T = (3NKt/2A)^(1/3)
I feel like I've missed something and the T should be a delta T but I'm not sure where I've going wrong.

Thanks for any help,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Something to consider: the power is not constant in this problem, because cooling causes the planet's surface temperature to get lower, which causes it to radiate less. So, you probably have to set up an integral here.

Edit: Er, actually, a differential equation, I think.

I get

dE/dt = σT^4 * A

d(3/2 NkT)/dt = σT^4 * A

and take out the constant and solve using separation of variables?

ma18 said:
Yes it supposed to be a differential equation but I tried doing that and I didn't get anywhere.

I get

dE/dt = σT^4 * A

then what?

Well, what is E(T)? That will allow you to express everything in terms of T.

ma18 said:
I get

dE/dt = σT^4 * A

d(3/2 NkT)/dt = σT^4 * A

and take out the constant and solve using separation of variables?

Oh, you edited your post. Yes. I think that is the right approach.

Likes 1 person
Thanks!

Is it reasonable to assume that the planet is a sphere?

I am given that the planet is made of iron (know the density and mass of iron). Using p = m/V I would calcluate the mass of the planet and then get the number of particles N.

Is there any other way to get N?

ma18 said:
Is it reasonable to assume that the planet is a sphere?

Yes. In fact, since you've only been given one dimension, you can't really assume anything else.

ma18 said:
I am given that the planet is made of iron (know the density and mass of iron). Using p = m/V I would calcluate the mass of the planet and then get the number of particles N.

Is there any other way to get N?

This sounds like the way to get N.

I get time to be negative :(Tf
∫dt/T^4
Ti

[(1/Ti^3)-(1/Tf^3)]

Since Ti>Tf

Plus I get a timescale of 10^42 years

Regarding the first problem: you could just be out by a negative sign. Remember that the power radiated is equal to the rate of decrease in thermal energy.

Second problem: it is an algebraic or arithmetic error. Please post all of your work so far.

Likes 1 person
I got it, thanks for all your help. I like this method, much better than other places which just give you the answer.

Just out of curiosity, what did you get as the cooling time to 50 K?

What does "Planet Cooling" refer to?

"Planet Cooling" refers to the process of a planet's surface temperature decreasing over time. This can be due to various factors such as changes in the planet's atmosphere, distance from the sun, and geological processes.

What is the significance of calculating the time to cool down from 100K to 50K?

Calculating the time to cool down from 100K to 50K can provide valuable information about a planet's cooling rate and potential habitability. It can also help scientists understand the impact of external factors on a planet's temperature.

What factors affect the time it takes for a planet to cool down?

The time it takes for a planet to cool down can be influenced by several factors, such as the planet's size, composition, and atmosphere. Other external factors like distance from the sun and geological activity can also impact the cooling process.

What equations are used to calculate the time to cool down from 100K to 50K?

The most commonly used equations for calculating the time to cool down a planet from 100K to 50K are the Stefan-Boltzmann law and the heat transfer equation. These equations take into account factors like the planet's surface area, emissivity, and heat capacity.

Why is it important to consider a planet's cooling rate?

A planet's cooling rate is essential to understand its past, present, and future climatic conditions. It can also provide insights into the planet's geological processes and potential for sustaining life. Additionally, studying a planet's cooling rate can help predict and mitigate the effects of climate change on Earth.